Perez says binding contracts mean clubs ‘cannot leave’
It seems almost an eternity now since the announcement of the Super League plans were officially born and soon after dismantled.
The 6 English clubs were the first to leave followed by several others.
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez was to head up the organization and has said now that despite official statements saying clubs were withdrawing it is not possible for them to do so.
“I don’t need to explain what a binding contract is but effectively, the clubs cannot leave,” Perez said.
“Some of them, due to pressure, have said they’re leaving. But this project, or one very similar, will move forward and I hope very soon.”
“It’s not true they’ve withdrawn. They have taken some time for reflection, just like the 12 clubs. If we need to make changes we will but the Super League is the best project we’ve thought of.”
Perez has received plenty of criticism for his actions and headstrong nature following the Super League’s collapse.
Supporters clubs back Perez
Whilst in England plenty have seen protests from a number of clubs against their owners the feeling and mood is very different in Spain towards Real Madrid.
Supporters clubs of the team from across the country have written a united response backing president Florentino Perez.
A statement from the groups read:
‘Many other clubs in Spain join us. And in social networks we have received the support of many Madridistas who are not supporters who join our initiative to support our PRESIDENT.’
The following supporters clubs have announced their support of Perez:
- Peña Madridista El Prat
- Peña Madridista Sant Cugat
- Peña Madridista Viladecans
- Peña Madridista La Fontsanta
- Peña Madridista Esplugues
- Peña Madridista Irulo Mataro
- Peña Madridista White Wings
- Peña Madridista El Morell
- Peña Madridista The White Carnation
- Peña Madridista Olot and regionWhilst in England there has been huge backlash against the Super League plans Real Madrid supporters have announced their backing
- Peña Madridista El Rincón de Hellin (Palma de Mallorca)
- Federacion de Peñas Madridistas de Mallorca
- Peñas Committee of the Valencian Community.
This is surely not to go down well amongst the footballing community.
Perhaps the reason behind this is due to the fact that the club are in financial peril and the revenue from the Super League would have gone somewhere to alleviating that pressure.
This article was edited by Josh Barker.
Football Live streaming: Featured matches on June 17
|How to Watch|
|Brazil vs Peru||31'||3-1||1-0|