Sporting Lisbon have refused €3.5m offers from Liverpool and Marseille for Diego Capel [A Bola]
- June 17, 2013
It is an open secret that Portuguese powerhouse Sporting Lisbon are in dire financial straits, and Liverpool and Marseille have tried to take advantage of the situation with cheeky €3.5m offers for Diego Capel.
After a poor 2012-13 campaign in which Sporting finished the season in lowly 7th place in the division, the club are facing an exodus of stars this summer.
Ricky van Wolfswinkel is off to Norwich, Oguchi Onyewu is angling for a move back to the MLS after playing for Malaga last season, while Tiago Ilori is a major target for Liverpool.
Now, according to A Bola, Liverpool are also trying to pry Diego Capel away from the Estádio José Alvalade, however the Anfielders recent approach has reportedly been rebuffed.
According to the Portuguese paper, Sporting President Bruno de Carvalho has rejected offers of €3.5m for the club’s left winger claiming that the bids were below the market price for the Spanish international midfielder.
Capel, 25, was originally brought up in Barcelona’s famed youth development programme, before he moved on to their Spanish rivals Sevilla. Capel stayed at Sevilla for seven season before moving to Lisbon in 2011.
Capel cost the Sporting €3.5m, with Sevilla entitled to 20% of any future sale. A buyout clause of €30m is written into his contract.
A classic wide-man, Capel is known less for his goalscoring exploits and more for his ability to delivery a tidy cross from the left wing. However whilst the Spaniard was tipped for the top at the start of his career, the player has fallen short of those great expectations through a lack of consistency.
Footage of Diego Capel during his time at Sporting Lisbon can be seen below.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...