Scenes! Chacarita Juniors awarded 94th minute penalty v Nueva Chicago in 2nd leg of Argentina 2nd/3rd division play-off final
- July 1, 2012
For the final season in Argentina’s lower divisions, promotion and relegation spots were decided in play-off matches between teams from the second and third tier.
Incredible scenes played out in one of the play-off finals on Saturday as Chacarita Juniors took on Nueva Chicago in the second leg of their Division 2/3 play-off final.
Chacarita Juniors had finished the season bottom of the Prim B Nacional table in Argentina’s second division. Whilst Nueva Chicago had sealed fourth spot in the Prim B Metro – the third tier.
A 1-0 win for Nueva Chicago in the first leg of the play-off final meant they were in the driving seat and so it proved until six minutes from the end.
Leonardo Carboni made it 2-0 on aggregate on 84 only for Gabriel Tellas to pull a goal back for Chacarita with two minutes to go.
And in the 94th minute high drama – Chacarita win a penalty. If they score they stay in Argentina’s second division, if they miss they are relegated.
Chacarita Juniors’ Damian Toledo stepped up to take the penalty against Nueva Chicago keeper Arturo Monllor. Watch out for the epic reactions from Chacarita coach Salvador Pasini.
Enjoy the sensational drama on the video below. (To avoid any confusion, the full result of what the penalty means is after the video.)
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”198090″]
Monllor’s save means Nueva Chicago return to Nacional B, Chacarita are relegated to the Primera B Metropolitana. Crazy!
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi