- Premier League clubs spent £115m on agent fees; Chelsea forking out £16.77m alone [Full List]
- Real Madrid set to pass on option to sign Chicharito as they have Sergio Aguero in their sights [Fichajes]
- Jose Mourinho: Obviously Lionel Messi is not coming to Chelsea
- Exquisite! Meshal Theyab hits wonderful dipping volley in Kuwaiti Premier League game [Video]
- Manchester City give up pursuit of Isco as he is quite happy at Real Madrid [Marca]
Scenes! Chacarita Juniors awarded 94th minute penalty v Nueva Chicago in 2nd leg of Argentina 2nd/3rd division play-off final
For the final season in Argentina’s lower divisions, promotion and relegation spots were decided in play-off matches between teams from the second and third tier.
Incredible scenes played out in one of the play-off finals on Saturday as Chacarita Juniors took on Nueva Chicago in the second leg of their Division 2/3 play-off final.
Chacarita Juniors had finished the season bottom of the Prim B Nacional table in Argentina’s second division. Whilst Nueva Chicago had sealed fourth spot in the Prim B Metro – the third tier.
A 1-0 win for Nueva Chicago in the first leg of the play-off final meant they were in the driving seat and so it proved until six minutes from the end.
Leonardo Carboni made it 2-0 on aggregate on 84 only for Gabriel Tellas to pull a goal back for Chacarita with two minutes to go.
And in the 94th minute high drama – Chacarita win a penalty. If they score they stay in Argentina’s second division, if they miss they are relegated.
Chacarita Juniors’ Damian Toledo stepped up to take the penalty against Nueva Chicago keeper Arturo Monllor. Watch out for the epic reactions from Chacarita coach Salvador Pasini.
Enjoy the sensational drama on the video below. (To avoid any confusion, the full result of what the penalty means is after the video.)
Monllor’s save means Nueva Chicago return to Nacional B, Chacarita are relegated to the Primera B Metropolitana. Crazy!
- Updated: July 1, 2012