Close this search box.

Premier League: Man City go top after win at Tottenham

City hold two-point lead over Arsenal ahead of Sunday's season finale

Pep Guardiola

Man City took a giant stride towards an unprecedented fourth Premier League title in succession as Erling Haaland’s second-half double saw them win at Tottenham.

City hold a two point lead over Arsenal going into the final day of the season with West Ham heading to the Etihad while Everton visit the Emirates.

Tottenham’s defeat means Aston Villa have sealed Champions League football next season.

After a cagey first half Haaland turned in Kevin de Bruyne’s cross on 51 minutes and, after sub keeper Stefan Ortega had denied Son Heung-Min when clean through, the Norwegian slammed a late penalty home to seal it with his 27th goal of the season.

Read our other news stories here: 
Poch doubles down on uncertain Chelsea future
Raphael Varane to leave Manchester United at end of the season
Wiegman names England squad for upcoming Euro qualifiers

Rodrigo Bentancur was denied an early opener by the fingertips of Ederson, making his 250th Premier League appearance while Phil Foden’s volley was blocked by an instinctive stop from Guglielmo Vicario after Pierre-Emile Hojberg had horribly sliced an attempted clearance at the other end.

In-form Josko Gvardiol came close to a sixth goal in eight games with a far-post volley which fizzed over the bar seven minutes before the break and sconds after the turnaround de Bruyne’s snap-shot  was well saved by Vicario after Spurs were caught in possession.

Son saw a near-post effort from Brennan Johnson’s low cross blocked by Ederson but moments later City were ahead.

Foden blazed down the left on 51 minutes and his low cross found Bernardo Silva. He slid de Bruyne in down the right of the area to fire in a low cross which Haaland turned home from barely a yard out.

De Bruyne needed treatment on his ankle before the hour after being fouled by Pape Sarr while Ederson was struck in the head as Cristian Romero slid in to meet a curling cross at the far post soon after.

It earned the defender a yellow card and saw the Brazilian reluctantly withdrawn soon after – the fourth time this season he has been substituted.

His replacement Ortega made a last-ditch block to thwart Dejan Kulusevski with his feet inside the final 20 minutes and then denied the Swede from an angle again soon after.

On 85 minutes Son burst through one-on-one with the German keeper after an error from Manuel Akanji but Ortega’s right leg came to the rescue with manager Pep Guardiola on the turf in anguish in his technical area.

He was able to relax five minutes later as Foden’s volleyed pass sent Jeremy Doku through into the area and the sub drew a foul from Pedro Porro allowing Haaland to send Vicario the wrong way from the spot with a powerful finish which sparked celebrations in both the away end, and a few pockets of the home end too.

Arsenal were the last team to win the league from behind on the final day when they won at Liverpool in 1989 and they will need to channel that spirit once again on Sunday if they are to snatch their first title in 20 years.

Picture of Alex Hoad

Alex Hoad

Alex has more than 15 years' experience in sports journalism and has reported on multiple Olympics, World Cups and European Championships in additional to Champions League, Europa League and domestic football.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *