Argentina 0 – Croatia 3
As if things weren’t bad enough for Argentina right now.
Argentina’s World Cup hopes are hanging by a thread after losing 3-0 deservedly to Croatia.
With just one point from two games, Argentina are in major trouble of exiting the World Cup at the group stage and all eyes will be on Nigeria against Iceland on Friday.
In the aftermath of the mauling to Croatia a WhatsApp audio conversation from Diego Simeone has been leaked.
Diego Simeone WhatsApp conversation leaked
It first should be pointed out that the voice seems to be Diego Simeone’s. These are not public pronouncements though and whilst they are being reported as the opinions of Simeone, they are not 100% verified as his.
The Atletico Madrid boss sounds like any Argentina fan right now, in deep despair.
Simeone’s conversation is with his burly Atletico Madrid assistant manager German Burgos, and the no-nonsense style of the former Argentina midfielder shines through.
Diego Simeone slams Argentina: The leaked audio (Spanish)
El audio del Cholo Simeone sobre el papelón de Argentina vs Croacia: “Hoy en el vestuario se están agarrando a trompadas” y palos contra Sampaoli pic.twitter.com/Cwdkt1I839
— Jotapé Bomba (@jpbombaok) June 21, 2018
Diego Simeone slams Argentina: The full transcript
* “What is happening right now is what’s been happening to the national team in the last 4 years unfortunately: Anarchy, no leadership from the FA or the people in charge.”
* “I see a lost team. They should have started the game like they started against Iceland, a weaker team. The team are in a bad moment, but it’s Argentina and I hope I’m not wrong, but I think they’re advancing, because Nigeria will beat Iceland and then you will have the the possibility of beating Nigeria, as long as Iceland does not win against Croatia, it now depends on Iceland, not to win either of the two games, its possible.
* “It’s clear that today in the dressing room they’re beating each other up. Someone has to fight [in there]. Stop breaking my balls.”
* “The goalkeeper… He had done it already, Germán! He did it against Spain, against Italy that the ball went just wide near the post, and I told you it was a pity he didn’t concede so they’d realise that if you screw it in the World Cup, it’s a goal.”
* “We all always say that footballers are the most important in this game, and we know it’s like that. They’re 60%, not 90%. Because when we coaches screw it up it’s worse than when footballers do, which means coaches play a big role in this.”
“[This is also useful] to see that Messi is very good, but he’s very good because he has extraordinary teammates. And the question I ask you: If you had to choose between Messi and Ronaldo for a regular team, who would you choose?”
Analysis of Diego Simeone’s reaction to Argentina loss
When you look into these comments from Simeone you remember that Argentina have so many good managers at their disposal.
Not just Simeone but the likes of Mauricio Pochettino as well. But, neither of these two coaches would go anywhere near the Argentina job. Not whilst they are in well paid jobs at stable major European sides.
Jorge Sampaoli looks to have effectively destroyed his career by taking a woeful Argentina side to the World Cup.
Much of what Simeone says is hard to disagree with and similar sentiments are also being voiced by other Argentina greats, such as Ossie Ardiles today on Twitter.
Argentina, from top to bottom – undoubtedly including the AFA – are to blame for this Croatia defeat and a dire World Cup so far.
Clearly Simeone’s comments on Messi and Ronaldo will get a lot of play in the coming days, but on the evidence of the World Cup so far, there is little doubt that there is truth in them.
In all honesty, Simeone sounds a bit like your distraught average Argentinian fan who’s torn between hope and despair.
— Samuel (@ecanalla) June 21, 2018