BREAKING: Jose Mourinho agrees Real Madrid return

The Portuguese will return for a second spell at Real Madrid

BREAKING: Jose Mourinho agrees Real Madrid return

Jose Mourinho has agreed terms on his return to Real Madrid, according to transfer expert Fabrizio Romano.

The move has been expected for some time with Benfica boss Mourinho the preferred choice of president Florentino Perez.

But Romano has reported personal terms over a two-year deal have been verbally agreed and the formalities will be completed this week.

Mourinho has another 12 months left on his contract at Benfica but it contains a 10-day escape clause that came into effect at the weekend.

Obviously there is something with Real Madrid, admitted Mourinho

Speaking after Saturday’s 3-1 win over Estoril, Mourinho confirmed he had been offered a new deal by Benfica and claimed he had yet to hold face-to-face talks with Perez.

“I don’t know. When I know, I’ll tell you,” he told Sport TV when asked about his future. “There is a chance that I will continue [at Benfica], yes. My desire is, next week, to see what I have. Objectively, I have a proposal for the renewal at Benfica that I thank them for. I am as grateful as I was for the opportunity I was given to coach Benfica a few months ago.

“None of us are stupid, obviously there is something [with Real Madrid], but, as I said, there is no signed contract, there is no contract on the table, there are no conversations between me and the president of Real Madrid, there are no conversations between me and someone important in the club’s structure.

“At this moment, the only real and effective thing that exists is a proposal for continuity by Benfica that I, I repeat, thank them for as much as the opportunity I was given to have the honour of coaching Benfica.”

Benfica finished third in the Primeira Liga table, and missed out on Champions League qualification, despite going through the season unbeaten.

Benfica boss Jose Mourinho watches his side play Real Madrid in the first leg of their Champions League play-off

Perez takes gamble by bringing Mourinho back to Real Madrid

Despite a mixed first spell at the Bernabeu between 2010 and 2013, during which Madrid won the Copa del Rey and La Liga, Mourinho retains a strong bond with Perez, although he will walk into a club in need of a major overhaul.

Madrid have imploded in recent weeks with coach Alvaro Arbeloa and star striker Kylian Mbappe trading barbs in public, midfielders Aurelien Tchouameni and Federico Valverde engaging in a training ground fracas that left the latter in hospital and Perez calling a snap presidential election.

They will end the season without a trophy with Barcelona remaining the dominant force in Spanish football.

It is believed Perez is seeking a strong hand to restore order and has identified Mourinho as that man.

It is a bold move, particularly given the 63-year-old’s combative nature.

There is also the feeling his career is very much on the slide after a glittering decade with Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan that saw him claim two Champions League crowns and six domestic league titles.

Since leaving Madrid, he returned to Chelsea, and led them to the Premier League title in 2014/15, but subsequent stints with Manchester United, Tottenham, Roma and Fenerbahce have been largely underwhelming.

Fulham boss Marco Silva encourages his team

Real Madrid move could have knock-on effect for Fulham

Asked about Mourinho’s impending departure, Benfica president Rui Costa told RTP Noticias: “José Mourinho is Benfica’s coach until proven otherwise. It is up to Mourinho to decide [on the renewal proposal]. As for everything else, I will talk to the Benfica fans this week to take stock of this season.”

It has been reported that Fulham boss Marco Silva would be Benfica’s first choice to replace Mourinho. Silva’s contract expires at the end of the season and he has yet to agree terms on an extension at Craven Cottage.

“Have I thought of Marco Silva or someone else if Mourinho leaves? Obviously not, Mourinho is Benfica’s coach until proven otherwise,” reiterated Costa.

Speaking after Fulham’s draw with Wolves yesterday, Silva said: “I will not say something if the decision [around an extension] is not made. What can I communicate to the people if I haven’t decided?

“I said I’m going to meet with the board, we are going to analyse, we are going to say some important things which will be crucial to the club’s future in the way I want the club to move.

“And after (that), the decision is going to be made. All the other decisions are going to come, we are going to have some meetings. It is a moment for the club to address many things, it’s one of the most important summers in this football club.”