Close this search box.

Arsenal 2-1 Everton: Havertz scores winner as Gunners finish with victory

Arsenal ended their Premier League campaign with a win over Everton at the Emirates.


Arsenal’s win over Everton on the final day was not enough to win them their first Premier League title since 2004.

The Gunners went behind thanks to a deflected Idrissa Gueye free-kick in the first half, but hit back just minutes later.

Read our other sports news stories: 
Manchester City 3-1 West Ham
Hayes says she is leaving Chelsea ‘at the right time’
Kylian Mbappe’s absent from PSG squad ahead of Ligue 1 finale

Takehiro Tomiyasu continued his forward run towards the penalty box and finished cooly to draw Arsenal level.

The second half saw a familiar theme of the North London side applying a huge amount of pressure and they broke through late on.

Kai Havertz finished from close range, although the goal was controversial after the referee opted not to disallow a handball in the build-up.

The win means Arsenal finished on 89 points and 28 wins, the same amount of Manchester City but with two more losses, ending their dreams of a special ending to a brilliant campaign.

📰 Table Of Contents

How it happened

It was an expected fast start for the Gunners, who parked themselves inside the Everton half permanently as they attempted to do their job on the final day.

Havertz flashed an effort wide early on, while Declan Rice and Tomiyasu both went close as well.

Everton had chances of their own in the first half though. Dominic Calvert-Lewin hit the post before following up with an effort into the side netting.

The Toffees then took the lead through Gueye. His deflected free-kick off Rice caught David Raya off guard and the ball settled into the far corner.

It would not matter though as Arsenal hit back straight away. Tomiyasu ran onto the ball on the edge of the box and finished first time past Jordan Pickford, giving his side a deserved goal just before the break.

It was more of the same from Arsenal in the second half, who continued to pressure Everton in North London.

Havertz was involved again but like Calvert-Lewin struck the post before his team-mate Emile Smith Rowe did the same a few minutes later.

But eventually, they found a way through.

Havertz poked home from close range following an excellent counter-attack from the home side, although there were fears that the goal was going to be ruled out.

VAR instructed referee Michael Oliver to head to the monitor to review a potential Gabriel Jesus handball in the build-up, but after having a second look, he allowed Arsenal’s winner to stand.

Fine margins

Simply put, Arsenal were beaten to the title by the better team.

Pep Guardiola’s side have been there and done it, but their North London challengers will take a huge amount of experience from the season and come back stronger.

They have now finished second two seasons in a row and appear to be closing the gap on the Premier League champions.

There is no doubt they will be there again in 2025.

Picture of Mitch Fretton

Mitch Fretton

Mitch is a freelance sports journalist with experience working for LiveScore, GOAL and Colchester United. He has experience working from both his desk at home and in the press box at games covering the Champions League and international football.