Fabrizio Romano has dropped an update on Manchester United's pursuit of Frenkie de Jong.
He claims that United have started direct talks with Barcelona over a deal for the midfielder.
However, the Red Devils face major work in trying to convince him to swap Camp Nou for Old Trafford.
Talks between Man Utd and Barcelona have started over a potential deal for de Jong.
The Catalan club are understood to value the player at around a staggering €85 million.
They signed him from Ajax back in 2019 but the player has failed to hit the heights expected of him.
They are yet to make an official bid for the midfielder although an offer could arrive at any moment with the two clubs in direct contact.
Erik ten Hag would of course love to reunite with the player and also fill the hole left behind by Paul Pogba's departure.
Barca's financial situation: Xavi and player want him to stay
Both Xavi and the player himself are keen for him to stay.
De Jong recently gave an interview expressing his desire to remain in Spain.
He told ESPN on Tuesday: "I prefer to stay with Barcelona. Barcelona is just my dream club. Also from a young age. I just said it too.
"I've never regretted my choice despite the fact that I had hoped for more in terms of prizes than I've achieved so far.
"But I have never regretted my choice."
Xavi also wants him to remain and be a key part of his project, however, Barca's financial situation could force them to sell.
They are struggling over deals for Raphinha and Lewandowski and are also trying to renew the contract of Roberto and Dembele.
Therefore, Manchester United's serious interest in a major deal for de Jong could be key in freeing up funds.
The Reds Devils are fully aware of Barca's situation and that is why they are pushing for a deal.
But now, everything is in the player's hands, with the player currently planning to stay at Barca and play Champions League football.