Close this search box.

Revealed: The massive amount Chelsea are set to make from Tino Livramento’s Newcastle move

The Blues are set to benefit from the move massively

Chelsea are set to make an astonishing amount from Newcastle for the sale of Tino Livramento from Southampton to Eddie Howe’s side this summer thanks to a sell-on clause inserted into his initial move away from Stamford Bridge.

It was reported on Wednesday that the young fullback, who has just recovered from a knee injury, was closing in on a move to Tyneside with Newcastle and Southampton agreeing a deal worth close to £40m for the 21-year-old.

A move was complicated by the inclusion of a sell-on clause from Chelsea, which meant that Southampton were holding out for a large fee in order to get what they felt was fair value for the impressive defender.

But just how much do the Blues stand to gain from the deal for their ex-youth star? There is no fixed sell-on percentage, but rather it is a sliding scale which changes depending on the fee.

As per the Athletic, ‘should the agreed package be £30million ($38.2m), Southampton would keep around 60 per cent of that (about £18m) — but if it rose to £50m, they would make roughly £28m (in the region of 56 per cent).’

At £40m, therefore, Southampton would likely receive around 58% of that fee, while Chelsea receive the other 42%. In practical terms, the Saints will net £23m while Chelsea take home around £17m, a massive payday for the Blues who sold him for an additional £4m two years ago, taking their total income to in excess of £20m.

Livramento will become Newcastle’s third signing of the summer, with Sandro Tonali having arrived from AC Milan and Harvey Barnes joining from Leicester City.

Picture of Ben Browning

Ben Browning

Football writer and analyst. Long-time writer of all things Arsenal and avid watcher of European football. Happy to discuss all things football over on Twitter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *