Napoli director Cristiano Giuntoli has ruled out any potential move for Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo this January, claiming that the current Serie A leaders do not plan on making any additions in the winter transfer window.
The Portuguese forward has been out of favour under new Red Devil boss Erik ten Hag so far this season, making just two Premier League starts and storming down the tunnel before half time in their midweek clash with Tottenham after being left on the substitutes bench.
It led to increased speculation that a departure may best suit all parties, despite Ten Hag’s insistence that he still counted on the 37-year-old striker. He was dropped for one game as a result of his petulance, but the Dutchman has since revealed that he will be back with the squad for the Europa League clash with Sheriff on Thursday.
“I think we said everything and answered all the questions. He was out for one game and now he is back”, he told the media.
Napoli a no-go
Meanwhile, Italian giants Napoli have ruled themselves out of a Janaury move for Ronaldo, amid reports in the summer that the clubs were considering a part exchange that would see Nigerian striker Victor Osimhen head the other way.
However, Napoli director Giuntoli was quick to shut down the speculation.
“Ronaldo in January? We won’t sign any player in January. We don’t need to change anything in this team”, he explained.
“We’re doing great and we’re not planning any signing, as of today”
Ronaldo is in line to feature once more in the Europa League this week, but his place in the Premier League side continues to be only from the bench, something that is proving a consistent issue for all parties.