As per a report from Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo, Barcelona are no longer interested in the signing of PSG midfielder Adrien Rabiot.
PSG contract rebel
Speculation surrounding the future of gifted 23-year-old Rabiot has been rampant for some time now.
The Frenchman has refused to commit to a contract extension with boyhood club PSG, with his current deal at the Parc des Princes set to expire in the summer.
Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in a whole host of European heavyweights expressing an interest in Rabiot’s services.
A free agent in June, PSG midfielder Adrien Rabiot (23) has received approaches from Manchester City, Arsenal, Juventus and Barcelona. The Rabiot camp have told his most determined suitors, Tottenham, that he is not interested in joining them. [Le 10 Sport] pic.twitter.com/jYLTQI11I2
— City Watch (@City_Watch) December 17, 2018
However, despite the gifted midfielder having been free to sign a pre-contract agreement with another club since the beginning of last month, and been banished to the Parc des Princes stands since the middle of December, Rabiot’s future, at present, remains very much up in the air.
PSG sporting director Antero Henrique: “Adrien Rabiot has told me that he will not sign a contract extension & that he wishes to leave the club at the end of the season, so once his current deal finishes. The consequences are very clear: he is indefinitely benched.” https://t.co/ELsNJuVwoa
— Jonathan Johnson (@Jon_LeGossip) December 17, 2018
Barcelona back out
But, as per the aforementioned report from Mundo Deportivo this evening, one club who will not be taking their interest in the PSG star’s signature any further are La Liga champions Barcelona.
The Blaugrana were previously viewed as favourites to clinch a deal for Rabiot, but are said to have been left frustrated by the Frenchman’s failure to make his intention to move to the Camp Nou public.
In addition, Barca have already secured a high-profile midfield addition for the summer, in the form of Ajax’s Frenkie De Jong:
— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) January 23, 2019