Video of the Fixed Champions League match: Liverpool 1 – Debrecen 0
- February 5, 2013
Kudos to Danish paper Ekstra Bladet for breaking the news on Monday afternoon that the fixed Champions League match in England was Liverpool’s 1-0 win over Debrecen in September 2009.
The English press, somewhat predictably, were a little slow on the uptake, with The Sun laughably claiming a “world exclusive” with exactly the same information published on Tuesday morning.
Debrecen have today admitted that goalkeeper Vukasin Poleksic was questioned in 2010 by UEFA about approaches before “two international matches.”
Despite much criticism from Liverpool fans in the comments section of the post linked to above, there remains no suspicion attached to the Merseyside giants for their part in the Champions League match over four years ago.
Up until yesterday the only video evidence available from Liverpool’s 1-0 win over Debrecen was Dirk Kuyt’s match winner which Poleksic punched straight to the Dutchman after a Fernando Torres shot.
We have now managed to locate mini highlights and they don’t paint Poleksic in the best light.
Steven Gerrard fired wide when well placed and Poleksic made no attempt to make a save. For the goal you wonder if the Debrecen keeper could have done better with the original shot from Torres.
Also on the video below, Poleksic makes no effort to stop a rising Gerrard shot and then fumbles weakly from a jinking Yossi Benayoun.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi