- 10Bet Exclusive Bonus: 50% Up To £200 Free!
- Bet365 Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £200 Free!
- NetBet Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £100 Free!
- Bet365 Live streaming - Watch Live Sports
- BoyleSports Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £50 Free!
- Ladbrokes Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £50 Free!
- Betfred Exclusive Bonus: 100% up to £25!
- Winner Sports Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £200 Free!
- 18Bet Exclusive Bonus: 150% Up To £30 Free!
- Betway Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £50 Free!
- Vernons Sports Exclusive Bonus: 100% up to £25 Free!
Time Waster: Footage of why Canada goalkeeper Erin McLeod was penalised for breaking the six second rule
- Updated: August 7, 2012
“I feel like we got robbed. The referee was very one-sided. She has to do what she has to do and believe in her decisions. I have never known this to happen in a game before. It was an interesting decision. Referees never make this kind of decision.” - Canada goalie Erin McLeod.
“The ref [Christiana Pedersen], she will have to sleep in bed tonight after watching the replays. She’s gonna have to live with that. We will move on from this. I wonder if she will be able to.” - Canada coach John Herdman.
“I’ve never seen [a six-second penalty] called without a warning. That was interesting. But you never know what’s going to happen. In soccer, you see the most bizarre things. I always refer back to our game against Brazil [in the 2011 World Cup quarters]. You never know what a ref will give you or take away. But you can’t use it as excuses. We gutted it out. We found a way to win.” – US goalie Hope Solo.
Perhaps the biggest talking point after the United State’s epic 4-3 win over Canada at the Olympics centred on a controversial refereeing decision.
With Canada 3-2 up in the 80th minute, the Americans were awarded a indirect free-kick inside the Canadian box after their keeper Erin McLeod was penalised for breaking the six second handling rule. That set-play resulted with Abby Wambach levelling the match 3-3.
Whilst undoubtedly a rarity in football, the ref’s Pedersen decision to award the Americans the free-kick was not without merit.
Watch Erin McLeod time wasting the Canadians to defeat below.