- Bayern’s Bastian Schweinsteiger spends vacation supporting girlfriend Ana Ivanovic [Pictures]
- Newcastle’s Alan Pardew tipped to take over at Crystal Palace [Pictures]
- Man City centre-back Matija Nastasic is heading to join Roberto Di Matteo at Schalke [Bild]
- Manchester City make Koke (Atletico Madrid) & Paul Pogba (Juve) summer transfer targets [MD]
- Chelsea leading Barça & Man United in race to sign Corinthians’ £20m-rated Malcolm Silva [Express]
The best clips, gifs, & pics from USA and Costa Rica’s Biblical snowstorm in Denver
How the hell did this game go ahead?!
The USA and Costa Rica played their CONCACAF World Cup qualifier in the most extreme weather conditions you are ever likely to see.
Groundsmen were required to shovel and plough snow throughout, while the ball often got lost in mounds of the stuff.
As can be seen on the second video clip below, a grouo ‘Time Out’ was called 10 minutes into the second half. The players were asked whether they were happy to continue, and a unanimous decision was made to carry on.
The question many are asking is why the game had to be played in Denver of all places, ‘the Mile High City’, susceptible as it is to extreme freezing conditions; with so many other available host states (Florida, California).
Another point being raised is that the conditions possibly gave a slight advantage to the US – Costa Rica doesn’t even have a winter season, let alone biblical blizzards like this.
Costa Rica coach Jorge Luis Pinto described it as ‘an embarrassment to football, direspectful to the game’, in his post-match interview, and word is that the Costa Rica FA are now considering filing a protest to FIFA.
On the bright side, it was great fun to watch!
The best clips, pictures and gifs of the US and Costa Rica’s biblical snowstorm can be seen below the fold.
- Updated: March 23, 2013