Tata Martino will leave Barcelona at end of season, Catalans want Jurgen Klopp [Sport & AS]
The rumours had been rife long before Barcelona were dumped out the Champions League by Atletico Madrid and lost a crucial La Liga match at Granada, all in the space of four days.
Both Sport and AS report today that Tata Martino will definitely leave Barcelona at the end of the season, even if the Catalans win the Copa del Rey final on Wednesday against Real Madrid and somehow claim the La Liga title.
Martino, is according to Sport, not comfortable at Barcelona and the board are not satisfied with how he has failed to re-energise an ageing team.
The Argentine has a two-year deal at Barcelona but reportedly has an escape clause that means he can leave this summer, which looks almost assured at this moment in time.
Sport suggest that Barcelona have two coaches in their thoughts: Jurgen Klopp and Diego Simeone, with the latter’s style of play and “win at all costs” mentality not necessarily suited to the Nou Camp.
AS suggest that Barcelona will likely end up with a German coach but it will either be Klopp or Jogi Low, who they will approach after the World Cup.
Klopp is seen as the best option due to his engaging and positive character and proven ability to bring young players through.
Both Sport and AS point out that much depends on the current Barcelona transfer ban and the board at the Nou Camp which is still reeling from the resignation of Sandro Rosell.
These are tough times at Barcelona – perhaps Jurgen Klopp is the natural answer – but he is contracted to Borussia Dortmund until 2017.
Watch Live Stream
- Arda Turan denied Luis Suarez an easy tap-in so the striker made sure to return the favour (Video)August 29, 2016
- Luis Suarez called ref Mateu Lahoz a ‘Clown’ during Barcelona’s 1-0 win at Athletic Bilbao (Video)August 29, 2016
- Barcelona accidentally leak early photo of Paco Alcacer on their websiteAugust 29, 2016
- Barcelona youth team show awesome sportsmanship after beating Japanese side (Video)August 29, 2016
- Borussia Dortmund reject Liverpool’s £11m bid for Christian Pulisic, loan move possible [ESPN]August 29, 2016
- Thomas Tuchel’s antics on BVB sidelines v Mainz get a classical music makeover (Official Video)August 29, 2016
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s brace lifts Borussia Dortmund past Mainz (Official Video)August 27, 2016
- Robert Lewandowski sends cheeky message to Pierre-Emerick AubameyangAugust 27, 2016
- Gerardo Martino on Ballon d’Or vote: I am Argentinian and my heart lies with MessiNovember 17, 2014
- Argentina boss Gerardo Martino suggests that Lionel Messi is past his peakNovember 5, 2014
- Argentina boss Tata Martino set to end Carlos Tevez’s three year exile for Brazil friendliesSeptember 22, 2014
- Martino & Low argue if Man United’s Di Maria would have changed the World Cup final outcomeSeptember 4, 2014