Steven Gerrard’s goal for Liverpool at Man City was a replica of his strike v Germany in 2001
- February 3, 2013
The comparisons were flying round the social networks as soon as the ball left Steven Gerrard’s foot to briefly put Liverpool 2-1 up at Manchester City on Sunday.
If ever proof were needed of Steven Gerrard’s legendary status in the English game, it can be seen with a comparison of a goal scored in England’s most famous recent victory and the fact that 12 years later the Liverpool captain can still bang them in from distance.
Gerrard famously put England 2-1 up with a terrific low strike on September 1, 2001 as the Three Lions under Sven Goran Eriksson won 5-1 in Munich.
Roll on to February 3, 2013 and the Liverpool captain would have bagged all three points with an identical goal – in terms of the hit and where it landed in the net – but for Pepe Reina’s error allowing Sergio Aguero to equalise just five minutes later.
Steven Gerrard’s identical goals can be seen on the two videos below.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...