Spurs turned down Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling at 14 for just £200k [Nowhere Men]
After an excellent performance for England in the defeat to Italy on Saturday, there have been a number of features on Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling.
The 19-year-old comes into the Uruguay clash tonight as a key player for Roy Hodgson’s side and the Daily Telegraph ran a fascinating extract on Sterling in their paper and on their website today.
In an an extract from The Nowhere Men by Michael Calvin, Winner of The Times Sports Book of The Year, it is revealed that Tottenham missed out on Raheem Sterling as a 14-year-old when they could have snapped him up for just 200,000 pounds.
We can only speculate as to what Sterling is worth now, upwards of 20 million pounds, likely at least 30 million pounds.
Incredibly, Sterling was right in front of Tottenham’s nose, as he had been performing in the back garden of the-then Spurs technical director Tim Sherwood.
Considering it has been revealed that Spurs also scouted Luis Suarez when he was at Ajax, Tottenham fans could be forgiven for thinking that they could have their hands on two of Liverpool’s three most exciting attacking players.
The relevant extract from Michael Calvin is here:
“Sterling was a regular in pick-up games organised by Walley on a pitch marked out in the back garden of the home of Tim Sherwood, Tottenham’s technical co-ordinator. A trial game was arranged, between Tottenham Under 15s and a Brent Schools select, featuring Sterling, who was thought to be available for £200,000. Remarkably, Spurs turned him down, because academy coaches were split about his long-term potential and the challenges of his background. Fulham were convinced they were about to sign him. “We had Raheem in the building, and were totally blown away when Liverpool came in for the boy,” admitted Barry Simmonds, their chief scout. Anderson and McParland had successfully lobbied Sterling’s family, and close friends, that Raheem’s best interests would be served by a £1 million move to Merseyside.”
Watch Live Stream
- Danny Ings scores a fine diving header for Liverpool U23s v Sunderland (Video)September 25, 2016
- Looks like Liverpool keeper Loris Karius takes after Bayern Munich’s Manuel NeuerSeptember 25, 2016
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp will be a special pundit on Monday Night FootballSeptember 25, 2016
- Bayern Munich want to sign Liverpool’s star asset [Express]September 25, 2016
- Jurgen Klopp spectacularly over-estimates Raheem Sterling’s transfer fee to Man City (Video)September 23, 2016
- Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling on ‘unfair criticism’ he received last season (Video)September 12, 2016
- Raheem Sterling bemused at being told he’s been ‘reborn’ post-Man City 3 – West Ham 1 (Video)August 28, 2016
- Pep Guardiola’s supportive text message to Raheem Sterling during his tough Euro 2016August 28, 2016
- Soccer AM make fun of Mauricio Pochettino in hilarious videoSeptember 25, 2016
- Ex-Spurs starlet Souleymane Coulibaly scores wonder goal for Kilmarnock (Official video)September 25, 2016
- Ruud Gullit absolutely savages Spurs striker Vincent Janssen on MOTDSeptember 25, 2016
- Spurs set for three more major signings [Express]September 25, 2016