Spurs turned down Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling at 14 for just £200k [Nowhere Men]
- June 19, 2014
After an excellent performance for England in the defeat to Italy on Saturday, there have been a number of features on Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling.
The 19-year-old comes into the Uruguay clash tonight as a key player for Roy Hodgson’s side and the Daily Telegraph ran a fascinating extract on Sterling in their paper and on their website today.
In an an extract from The Nowhere Men by Michael Calvin, Winner of The Times Sports Book of The Year, it is revealed that Tottenham missed out on Raheem Sterling as a 14-year-old when they could have snapped him up for just 200,000 pounds.
We can only speculate as to what Sterling is worth now, upwards of 20 million pounds, likely at least 30 million pounds.
Incredibly, Sterling was right in front of Tottenham’s nose, as he had been performing in the back garden of the-then Spurs technical director Tim Sherwood.
Considering it has been revealed that Spurs also scouted Luis Suarez when he was at Ajax, Tottenham fans could be forgiven for thinking that they could have their hands on two of Liverpool’s three most exciting attacking players.
The relevant extract from Michael Calvin is here:
“Sterling was a regular in pick-up games organised by Walley on a pitch marked out in the back garden of the home of Tim Sherwood, Tottenham’s technical co-ordinator. A trial game was arranged, between Tottenham Under 15s and a Brent Schools select, featuring Sterling, who was thought to be available for £200,000. Remarkably, Spurs turned him down, because academy coaches were split about his long-term potential and the challenges of his background. Fulham were convinced they were about to sign him. “We had Raheem in the building, and were totally blown away when Liverpool came in for the boy,” admitted Barry Simmonds, their chief scout. Anderson and McParland had successfully lobbied Sterling’s family, and close friends, that Raheem’s best interests would be served by a £1 million move to Merseyside.”
- The best reactions to the bogus rumour that Liverpool may sell Mario Balotelli to Stoke...
- Steven Gerrard is told he’s nicer than David Beckham as he’s hounded by pap...
- Fighting Fit: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge lays into a punchbag in workout [Video]
- Watch Nathaniel Clyne put on a Liverpool shirt for the very first time [Video]
- Nathaniel Clyne pens messages to Liverpool & Southampton fans on Twitter
- Liverpool fan channel Redmen TV react to signing of Nathaniel Clyne [video]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi