Spurs turned down Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling at 14 for just £200k [Nowhere Men]
After an excellent performance for England in the defeat to Italy on Saturday, there have been a number of features on Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling.
The 19-year-old comes into the Uruguay clash tonight as a key player for Roy Hodgson’s side and the Daily Telegraph ran a fascinating extract on Sterling in their paper and on their website today.
In an an extract from The Nowhere Men by Michael Calvin, Winner of The Times Sports Book of The Year, it is revealed that Tottenham missed out on Raheem Sterling as a 14-year-old when they could have snapped him up for just 200,000 pounds.
We can only speculate as to what Sterling is worth now, upwards of 20 million pounds, likely at least 30 million pounds.
Incredibly, Sterling was right in front of Tottenham’s nose, as he had been performing in the back garden of the-then Spurs technical director Tim Sherwood.
Considering it has been revealed that Spurs also scouted Luis Suarez when he was at Ajax, Tottenham fans could be forgiven for thinking that they could have their hands on two of Liverpool’s three most exciting attacking players.
The relevant extract from Michael Calvin is here:
“Sterling was a regular in pick-up games organised by Walley on a pitch marked out in the back garden of the home of Tim Sherwood, Tottenham’s technical co-ordinator. A trial game was arranged, between Tottenham Under 15s and a Brent Schools select, featuring Sterling, who was thought to be available for £200,000. Remarkably, Spurs turned him down, because academy coaches were split about his long-term potential and the challenges of his background. Fulham were convinced they were about to sign him. “We had Raheem in the building, and were totally blown away when Liverpool came in for the boy,” admitted Barry Simmonds, their chief scout. Anderson and McParland had successfully lobbied Sterling’s family, and close friends, that Raheem’s best interests would be served by a £1 million move to Merseyside.”
Watch Live Stream
- Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool are worse at defending than under Brendan RodgersDecember 7, 2016
- Liverpool pair Lucas & Mignolet post pictures from Barcelona CL matchDecember 7, 2016
- Liverpool’s Loris Karius is actually outperforming Man United’s David De GeaDecember 7, 2016
- Liverpool fans will love Dirk Kuyt’s story about the stick he took from Manchester United fans (Video)December 6, 2016
- Man City winger Raheem Sterling & family pull off a mannequin challenge (Video)November 12, 2016
- Hypocrites: The Daily Star’s latest attack on Man City’s Raheem Sterling is completely insaneNovember 3, 2016
- Man City’s Raheem Sterling reveals why he decided to leave LiverpoolNovember 3, 2016
- Man City’s Raheem Sterling booked for diving v Barcelona; it looked like a penalty (Video)November 1, 2016
- Steve McManaman slams Spurs for using Wembley as an excuse for Champions League failure (Video)December 8, 2016
- Christian Eriksen’s performance praised as Tottenham beat CSKA Moscow 3-1 [Tweets]December 7, 2016
- Dele Alli & Harry Kane turn things around for Tottenham v CSKA Moscow (Video)December 7, 2016
- Spurs turn it around v CSKA and look set to lift Wembley Curse [Tweets]December 7, 2016