Spurs turned down Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling at 14 for just £200k [Nowhere Men]
After an excellent performance for England in the defeat to Italy on Saturday, there have been a number of features on Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling.
The 19-year-old comes into the Uruguay clash tonight as a key player for Roy Hodgson’s side and the Daily Telegraph ran a fascinating extract on Sterling in their paper and on their website today.
In an an extract from The Nowhere Men by Michael Calvin, Winner of The Times Sports Book of The Year, it is revealed that Tottenham missed out on Raheem Sterling as a 14-year-old when they could have snapped him up for just 200,000 pounds.
We can only speculate as to what Sterling is worth now, upwards of 20 million pounds, likely at least 30 million pounds.
Incredibly, Sterling was right in front of Tottenham’s nose, as he had been performing in the back garden of the-then Spurs technical director Tim Sherwood.
Considering it has been revealed that Spurs also scouted Luis Suarez when he was at Ajax, Tottenham fans could be forgiven for thinking that they could have their hands on two of Liverpool’s three most exciting attacking players.
The relevant extract from Michael Calvin is here:
“Sterling was a regular in pick-up games organised by Walley on a pitch marked out in the back garden of the home of Tim Sherwood, Tottenham’s technical co-ordinator. A trial game was arranged, between Tottenham Under 15s and a Brent Schools select, featuring Sterling, who was thought to be available for £200,000. Remarkably, Spurs turned him down, because academy coaches were split about his long-term potential and the challenges of his background. Fulham were convinced they were about to sign him. “We had Raheem in the building, and were totally blown away when Liverpool came in for the boy,” admitted Barry Simmonds, their chief scout. Anderson and McParland had successfully lobbied Sterling’s family, and close friends, that Raheem’s best interests would be served by a £1 million move to Merseyside.”
Watch Live Stream
- Jurgen Klopp bursts out laughing after funny mix-up in post-match interview (Video)October 23, 2016
- West Brom boss Tony Pulis explains why he thinks Liverpool can win the title (Video)October 23, 2016
- Magnificent Phil Coutinho hailed on MOTD after Liverpool win over West BromOctober 23, 2016
- Wayne Rooney has the final word v Michael Owen over supporting LiverpoolOctober 23, 2016
- Raheem Sterling says he wasn’t able to play natural game under Manuel Pellegrini [Quotes]October 3, 2016
- Raheem Sterling pulls out of England squad, Andros Townsend replaces him [Tweets]October 3, 2016
- Jurgen Klopp spectacularly over-estimates Raheem Sterling’s transfer fee to Man City (Video)September 23, 2016
- Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling on ‘unfair criticism’ he received last season (Video)September 12, 2016
- Ex-Spurs boss Tim Sherwood drops an ‘A*se-Bomb’ live on Sky Sports (Video)October 22, 2016
- Sir Alex Ferguson names Cristiano Ronaldo as the best player he’s coachedOctober 22, 2016
- Bournemouth v Tottenham: Premier League preview, line-ups & predictionsOctober 21, 2016
- Harry Kane returns to Spurs training, updates on InstagramOctober 20, 2016