Spurs turned down Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling at 14 for just £200k [Nowhere Men]
After an excellent performance for England in the defeat to Italy on Saturday, there have been a number of features on Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling.
The 19-year-old comes into the Uruguay clash tonight as a key player for Roy Hodgson’s side and the Daily Telegraph ran a fascinating extract on Sterling in their paper and on their website today.
In an an extract from The Nowhere Men by Michael Calvin, Winner of The Times Sports Book of The Year, it is revealed that Tottenham missed out on Raheem Sterling as a 14-year-old when they could have snapped him up for just 200,000 pounds.
We can only speculate as to what Sterling is worth now, upwards of 20 million pounds, likely at least 30 million pounds.
Incredibly, Sterling was right in front of Tottenham’s nose, as he had been performing in the back garden of the-then Spurs technical director Tim Sherwood.
Considering it has been revealed that Spurs also scouted Luis Suarez when he was at Ajax, Tottenham fans could be forgiven for thinking that they could have their hands on two of Liverpool’s three most exciting attacking players.
The relevant extract from Michael Calvin is here:
“Sterling was a regular in pick-up games organised by Walley on a pitch marked out in the back garden of the home of Tim Sherwood, Tottenham’s technical co-ordinator. A trial game was arranged, between Tottenham Under 15s and a Brent Schools select, featuring Sterling, who was thought to be available for £200,000. Remarkably, Spurs turned him down, because academy coaches were split about his long-term potential and the challenges of his background. Fulham were convinced they were about to sign him. “We had Raheem in the building, and were totally blown away when Liverpool came in for the boy,” admitted Barry Simmonds, their chief scout. Anderson and McParland had successfully lobbied Sterling’s family, and close friends, that Raheem’s best interests would be served by a £1 million move to Merseyside.”
Watch Live Stream
- Redmen TV analyse Liverpool signing Mainz keeper Loris Karius (Video)May 23rd, 2016
- Bad news for Liverpool as Mario Gotze’s Bayern future becomes much clearer [Bild]May 23rd, 2016
- The Man United squad sang about Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard after FA Cup win (Videos)May 23rd, 2016
- Loris Karius to be unveiled as a Liverpool player on Wednesday [Allgemeine Zeitung]May 23rd, 2016
- KSI and Manny take on Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling in crossbar challenge (Video)May 6th, 2016
- KSI & Raheem Sterling take over Manchester City’s Snapchat (Video)April 28th, 2016
- Manchester City stars react to their UCL Semi Final draw against Real Madrid (Video)April 15th, 2016
- Liverpool celebrate Jon Flanagan contract with highlights reel feat. Sterling tackle (Video)March 19th, 2016
- Spurs have a verbal agreement to sign Sao Paulo striker Jonathan Calleri, claims dad [Yahoo Brasil]May 23rd, 2016
- Tottenham’s Danny Rose seemed to have an accident in his shorts v TurkeyMay 22nd, 2016
- Tottenham’s Dele Alli produces nutmeg assist for Harry Kane to make it 1-0 England (Video)May 22nd, 2016
- David De Gea (?!), Liverpool & Spurs stars make Europa League squad of the seasonMay 20th, 2016