Spurs gazumped! Bayern Munich sign Croatian wunderkid Alen Halilović (but do they need another midfielder?!)
Bayern have signed Dinamo Zagreb's Alen Halilović for next season, according to @Sky_Gernot .
— Daniel Busch (@dan_bu) October 22, 2013
According to rumours mill, Bayern Munich have beaten Tottenham to close a deal with Dinamo Zagreb for their highly-sought after talent Alen Halilović.
The story, first broken by Italian outlet Sportmediaset on Tuesday night, isn’t without it’s caveats though.
For months upon months now Tottenham has been said to within touching distance of signing the 17-year-old starlet, with the only stumbling block being the refusal of the Halilović’s dad to allow the deal to happen.
Quoted like the gospel, Halilović senior, Sead, was said to have problems with Tottenham’s plan for his son, as Spurs wished to blood Alen in their youth setup before chucking him straight into their first team. Obviously the competition for places at White Hart Lane at present also would factor into Halilović’s absorption into the Spurs first team.
Despite suggestions that Tottenham had bid €20m (Halilović only has a €15m release clause, his contract expires at the end of the season), whilst also offering €1.5 million a season in wages, Bayern Munich are now said to have landed the teenager.
If true, the biggest question is what has happened to the need for Halilović to play immediate first team football.
If Tottenham’s midfield looked busy, then Bayern’s is a chronic traffic jam. Pep Guardiola already has Ribery, Ribery , Gotze, Muller, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Thiago, Shaqiri and Javi Martinez on the books.
Details of Bayern’s transfer fee, plus details of the player’s pay packet remain unknown at this time; which many could see as another red flag.
Watch Live Stream
- Bad news for Bayern Munich’s Douglas CostaSeptember 30, 2016
- Looks like Liverpool keeper Loris Karius takes after Bayern Munich’s Manuel NeuerSeptember 25, 2016
- Bayern Munich want to sign Liverpool’s star asset [Express]September 25, 2016
- Will he get in trouble? Bayern’s Franck Ribery was incredibly cheeky v HamburgSeptember 24, 2016
- Dinamo’s Ante Coric explains why he’s rejected a move to Liverpool [Vecernji list]August 29, 2016
- Manchester City on brink of signing Croatian starlet Ante Coric from Dinamo Zagreb [Mirror]August 19, 2016
- Liverpool have submitted a €15m bid for 19-year-old Dinamo Zagreb star Ante Ćorić [tportal]July 6, 2016
- Arsenal scout Gilles Grimandi watches Dinamo Zagreb’s 17-year-old Josip Brekalo [Mirror]April 10, 2016
- ‘One of the best in the world’: Pep Guardiola has glowing praise for Spurs boss Pochettino (Video)September 30, 2016
- Spurs’ Son Heung-min could miss nearly two years due to South Korean military serviceSeptember 29, 2016
- Spurs star Sonaldo nutmegs Arsenal youngster Calum Chambers (video)September 29, 2016
- Spurs players celebrate CSKA win on InstagramSeptember 28, 2016