Spurs gazumped! Bayern Munich sign Croatian wunderkid Alen Halilović (but do they need another midfielder?!)
- October 23, 2013
Bayern have signed Dinamo Zagreb's Alen Halilović for next season, according to @Sky_Gernot .
— Daniel Busch (@dan_bu) October 22, 2013
According to rumours mill, Bayern Munich have beaten Tottenham to close a deal with Dinamo Zagreb for their highly-sought after talent Alen Halilović.
The story, first broken by Italian outlet Sportmediaset on Tuesday night, isn’t without it’s caveats though.
For months upon months now Tottenham has been said to within touching distance of signing the 17-year-old starlet, with the only stumbling block being the refusal of the Halilović’s dad to allow the deal to happen.
Quoted like the gospel, Halilović senior, Sead, was said to have problems with Tottenham’s plan for his son, as Spurs wished to blood Alen in their youth setup before chucking him straight into their first team. Obviously the competition for places at White Hart Lane at present also would factor into Halilović’s absorption into the Spurs first team.
Despite suggestions that Tottenham had bid €20m (Halilović only has a €15m release clause, his contract expires at the end of the season), whilst also offering €1.5 million a season in wages, Bayern Munich are now said to have landed the teenager.
If true, the biggest question is what has happened to the need for Halilović to play immediate first team football.
If Tottenham’s midfield looked busy, then Bayern’s is a chronic traffic jam. Pep Guardiola already has Ribery, Ribery , Gotze, Muller, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Thiago, Shaqiri and Javi Martinez on the books.
Details of Bayern’s transfer fee, plus details of the player’s pay packet remain unknown at this time; which many could see as another red flag.
- Bayern’s Mario Gotze throws first pitch at LA Dodgers-NY Mets game [Video]
- Bayern open talks with Man United’s Ed Woodward for the €50m purchase of Angel Di...
- Pep Guardiola: Bastian Schweinsteiger needs to decide on a Man United move [Quotes]
- New Bayern Munich attacker Douglas Costa gives first interview since £21m move [Video]
- Man United put together a €160m package (transfer fee & wages) for Bayern’s ...
- Done Deal: Bayern Munich confirm the signing of Douglas Costa
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi