Spurs gazumped! Bayern Munich sign Croatian wunderkid Alen Halilović (but do they need another midfielder?!)
Bayern have signed Dinamo Zagreb's Alen Halilović for next season, according to @Sky_Gernot .
— Daniel Busch (@dan_bu) October 22, 2013
According to rumours mill, Bayern Munich have beaten Tottenham to close a deal with Dinamo Zagreb for their highly-sought after talent Alen Halilović.
The story, first broken by Italian outlet Sportmediaset on Tuesday night, isn’t without it’s caveats though.
For months upon months now Tottenham has been said to within touching distance of signing the 17-year-old starlet, with the only stumbling block being the refusal of the Halilović’s dad to allow the deal to happen.
Quoted like the gospel, Halilović senior, Sead, was said to have problems with Tottenham’s plan for his son, as Spurs wished to blood Alen in their youth setup before chucking him straight into their first team. Obviously the competition for places at White Hart Lane at present also would factor into Halilović’s absorption into the Spurs first team.
Despite suggestions that Tottenham had bid €20m (Halilović only has a €15m release clause, his contract expires at the end of the season), whilst also offering €1.5 million a season in wages, Bayern Munich are now said to have landed the teenager.
If true, the biggest question is what has happened to the need for Halilović to play immediate first team football.
If Tottenham’s midfield looked busy, then Bayern’s is a chronic traffic jam. Pep Guardiola already has Ribery, Ribery , Gotze, Muller, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Thiago, Shaqiri and Javi Martinez on the books.
Details of Bayern’s transfer fee, plus details of the player’s pay packet remain unknown at this time; which many could see as another red flag.
Watch Live Stream
- Rafinha & Javi Martinez take on Bayern Munich Christmas sweater challenge (Video)November 30, 2016
- Thomas Muller sings Silent Night with supporter during Bayern fan club visit (Video)November 28, 2016
- Bayern president tells Bastian Schweinsteiger to bleed Man United dry [ESPN]November 28, 2016
- Arjen Robben’s dream XI includes Chelsea heroes, an ex Man United striker & lots of Bayern starsNovember 28, 2016
- Dinamo’s Ante Coric explains why he’s rejected a move to Liverpool [Vecernji list]August 29, 2016
- Manchester City on brink of signing Croatian starlet Ante Coric from Dinamo Zagreb [Mirror]August 19, 2016
- Liverpool have submitted a €15m bid for 19-year-old Dinamo Zagreb star Ante Ćorić [tportal]July 6, 2016
- Arsenal scout Gilles Grimandi watches Dinamo Zagreb’s 17-year-old Josip Brekalo [Mirror]April 10, 2016
- Massive fitness boost for Tottenham Hotspur as Alderweireld pictured trainingDecember 2, 2016
- Eljero Elia warned Man United flop Memphis to use Spurs as ‘stepping stone’December 2, 2016
- Done deal: Harry Kane agrees a mega new Tottenham contract with record wages (Video)December 1, 2016
- Leicester’s Riyad Mahrez makes fun of Tottenham over last season’s collapse (Video)November 30, 2016