Spurs chairman Daniel Levy tried to stop Mesut Ozil’s transfer to Arsenal [El Confidencial]
- September 3, 2013
Spanish newspaper El Confidencial have come out with a sensational claim on Tuesday that will be greeted with both glee and despair in north London following Arsenal’s capture of Mesut Ozil.
According to El Confidencial, Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy was keen to make his mark at Real Madrid on transfer deadline day just as Gareth Bale was being introduced to the Bernabeu.
Levy called Florentino Perez on Monday in an attempt to stop Mesut Ozil’s transfer to Arsenal, Spurs’ great north London rivals.
Jose Felix Diaz writes in El Confidencial that Levy felt betrayed by Real Madrid after lengthy negotiations over Bale and a partnership agreement between Spurs and the Spanish giants that was agreed when Luka Modric left White Hart Lane.
El Confidencial add that Levy and Spurs had enquired about Ozil in July and August during the discussions over Bale but at that point in time it was thought the German playmaker would remain at Real Madrid.
Los Blancos president Florentino Perez politely informed Levy that the deal to sell Ozil to Arsenal was all but done.
This follows suggestions, voiced by Sky Sports News last week, that Daniel Levy had held up Real Madrid selling a player to Arsenal to ensure they would not play against Spurs in the north London derby.
Brendan Rodgers: “If the Liverpool owners want me to go then I go”
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...