Eto’o in 2005: I’d rather sell groundnuts than play for a pathetic team like Chelsea
What was it about the multi-million pound, one-year contract which made Samuel Eto’o change his mind about playing for Chelsea?
A group of Chelsea supporters are upset that their club have signed Cameroonian superstar Eto’o as they remember quotes spewed by the striker back in 2005.
To recap, back in 2004/05 Chelsea met Barcelona in the second round of the Champions League. Barca won a controversial first home leg 2-1, a game in which Didier Drogba sent controversially sent off.
Before the second leg there was plenty of banter between the sides, and famously Samuel Eto’o, then Barcelona’s leading striker, waded into the mix. Eto’o famously ranted:
I’d rather sell groundnuts in my village than to play for a pathetic team like Chelsea.
As it happened, Chelsea won the return leg 4-2 to complete one of their finest victories in Europe to date.
So, is it time to forgive and forget or do Chelsea fans have reason to dislike their new signing?
Remember Chelsea’s famous 4-2 win over Barcelona from 2005 below.
Watch Live Stream
- Neymar upsets Luis Enrique on a trip to London [Sport]October 26, 2016
- Brazilian model Livia Gullo gets famous by supporting FC Barcelona [Instagram]October 26, 2016
- The Valencia fan who hit Neymar with a bottle writes a letter explaining his actions [99.9 Valencia Radio]October 26, 2016
- Barcelona striker Luis Suarez reveals plans to return to former clubOctober 25, 2016
- Vicente del Bosque supports Jose Mourinho’s criticisms of Chelsea’s boss [Cadena SER]October 26, 2016
- West Ham v Chelsea: Watch a Live Stream of the EFL Cup matchOctober 26, 2016
- Chelsea upload video of Nathaniel Chalobah’s double nutmeg v Man UnitedOctober 26, 2016
- Liverpool target Alexander Isak hires an agent with close ties to Chelsea’s Roman Abramovich [Expressen]October 26, 2016
- Samuel Eto’o makes crazy bet with an Antalyaspor fanOctober 19, 2016
- Galatasaray goalie Fernando Muslera dribbles around Samuel Eto’o in Antalyaspor half (Video)October 5, 2016
- Samuel Eto’o dropped by Antalyaspor after making racism accusation on InstagramSeptember 21, 2016
- Samuel Eto’o has been named as the interim player-coach of Antalyaspor [Cameroon Online]December 15, 2015