Eto’o in 2005: I’d rather sell groundnuts than play for a pathetic team like Chelsea
- August 30, 2013
What was it about the multi-million pound, one-year contract which made Samuel Eto’o change his mind about playing for Chelsea?
A group of Chelsea supporters are upset that their club have signed Cameroonian superstar Eto’o as they remember quotes spewed by the striker back in 2005.
To recap, back in 2004/05 Chelsea met Barcelona in the second round of the Champions League. Barca won a controversial first home leg 2-1, a game in which Didier Drogba sent controversially sent off.
Before the second leg there was plenty of banter between the sides, and famously Samuel Eto’o, then Barcelona’s leading striker, waded into the mix. Eto’o famously ranted:
I’d rather sell groundnuts in my village than to play for a pathetic team like Chelsea.
As it happened, Chelsea won the return leg 4-2 to complete one of their finest victories in Europe to date.
So, is it time to forgive and forget or do Chelsea fans have reason to dislike their new signing?
Remember Chelsea’s famous 4-2 win over Barcelona from 2005 below.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...