Eto’o in 2005: I’d rather sell groundnuts than play for a pathetic team like Chelsea
What was it about the multi-million pound, one-year contract which made Samuel Eto’o change his mind about playing for Chelsea?
A group of Chelsea supporters are upset that their club have signed Cameroonian superstar Eto’o as they remember quotes spewed by the striker back in 2005.
To recap, back in 2004/05 Chelsea met Barcelona in the second round of the Champions League. Barca won a controversial first home leg 2-1, a game in which Didier Drogba sent controversially sent off.
Before the second leg there was plenty of banter between the sides, and famously Samuel Eto’o, then Barcelona’s leading striker, waded into the mix. Eto’o famously ranted:
I’d rather sell groundnuts in my village than to play for a pathetic team like Chelsea.
As it happened, Chelsea won the return leg 4-2 to complete one of their finest victories in Europe to date.
So, is it time to forgive and forget or do Chelsea fans have reason to dislike their new signing?
Remember Chelsea’s famous 4-2 win over Barcelona from 2005 below.
- Leo Messi sends cryptic message to the Spanish Tax Man on Instagram
- Ronaldo romps and Messi watch complaints feature in new book of Barcelona anecdotes
- Barcelona star Lionel Messi will be tried in Spain for tax fraud, could spend 22 months...
- Man United & Barcelona send scouts to watch one of the hottest stars in Belgium [H...
- Ex-Chelsea man Samuel Eto’o continues his brilliant scoring record with Antalyasp...
- Samuel Eto’o scored two excellent goals on his Antalyaspor debut (video)
- Agent of Eto’o & Makelele: Real Madrid president Florentino Perez “doe...
- President of Turkish club Antalyaspor says Ronaldinho and Samuel Eto’o are signin...