- Diagnosis on Marco Reus’ suspected ankle ligament rupture delayed due to swelling
- Poll: Should Arsenal sack Arsene Wenger? #WengerOut or #WengerIn ???
- 4 Ivorian airport workers got fired after Gervinho tried smuggling a girl on a private jet to Rome
- Geoff Shreeves chats with Jim Carrey & Jeff Daniels pre Arsenal 1 – Man United 2 [video]
- David Moyes split his trousers during his 1st game at Real Sociedad [Pictures]
Eto’o in 2005: I’d rather sell groundnuts than play for a pathetic team like Chelsea
What was it about the multi-million pound, one-year contract which made Samuel Eto’o change his mind about playing for Chelsea?
A group of Chelsea supporters are upset that their club have signed Cameroonian superstar Eto’o as they remember quotes spewed by the striker back in 2005.
To recap, back in 2004/05 Chelsea met Barcelona in the second round of the Champions League. Barca won a controversial first home leg 2-1, a game in which Didier Drogba sent controversially sent off.
Before the second leg there was plenty of banter between the sides, and famously Samuel Eto’o, then Barcelona’s leading striker, waded into the mix. Eto’o famously ranted:
I’d rather sell groundnuts in my village than to play for a pathetic team like Chelsea.
As it happened, Chelsea won the return leg 4-2 to complete one of their finest victories in Europe to date.
So, is it time to forgive and forget or do Chelsea fans have reason to dislike their new signing?
Remember Chelsea’s famous 4-2 win over Barcelona from 2005 below.
- Updated: August 30, 2013