Eto’o in 2005: I’d rather sell groundnuts than play for a pathetic team like Chelsea
- August 30, 2013
What was it about the multi-million pound, one-year contract which made Samuel Eto’o change his mind about playing for Chelsea?
A group of Chelsea supporters are upset that their club have signed Cameroonian superstar Eto’o as they remember quotes spewed by the striker back in 2005.
To recap, back in 2004/05 Chelsea met Barcelona in the second round of the Champions League. Barca won a controversial first home leg 2-1, a game in which Didier Drogba sent controversially sent off.
Before the second leg there was plenty of banter between the sides, and famously Samuel Eto’o, then Barcelona’s leading striker, waded into the mix. Eto’o famously ranted:
I’d rather sell groundnuts in my village than to play for a pathetic team like Chelsea.
As it happened, Chelsea won the return leg 4-2 to complete one of their finest victories in Europe to date.
So, is it time to forgive and forget or do Chelsea fans have reason to dislike their new signing?
Remember Chelsea’s famous 4-2 win over Barcelona from 2005 below.
- Anthony Martial’s move to Man United to be 5th biggest transfer fee of all time [...
- Done Deal: West Ham re-sign Barcelona’s Alex Song on a season long loan [Tweet]
- Barcelona’s Luis Suarez jokingly tried to bite Leo Messi backstage at UCL draw (V...
- Man United goalkeeper Victor Valdes’ move to Besiktas collapses [Di Marzio]
- David De Gea set to join Real Madrid in a cut price deal, Man United eye Gerard Pique [...
- Barcelona 1 – Malaga 0: Thomas Vermaelen scores the winner (Highlights)
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...