Ronaldinho’s cheeky “water bottle” trick assist v Sao Paulo
- February 14, 2013
“It was luck. I was cleaning my mouth and the referee played on. It was not rehearsed or anything, no, it was luck.” – Ronaldinho.
One of the big Copa Libertadores matches on Wednesday evening saw Atletico Mineiro beat Sao Paulo 2-1 in an all-Brazilian affair.
Ronaldinho bagged both assists and whilst his second was a fine run and right wing cross, the first had something lucky, cheeky, tricky or perhaps even genius about it.
Due to a mouth injury, in the 13th minute, Ronaldinho held his ground in the penalty area and took some water from Sao Paulo’s legendary scoring (109 goals and counting) keeper Rogerio Ceni.
This delay meant he wasn’t up with play but a long throw from the right saw Ronaldinho – who couldn’t be offside from a throw in – take down the ball and cross for former Manchester City Jo to score the opener.
Ceni, who was Ronaldinho’s “waiter” said afterwards: “It was a mistake on our part. He was in an irregular position but we should have been marking him.”
UPDATE: The second video below shows exactly Ronaldinho’s moments in the lead up to his “water bottle” trick assist.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...