Rhodri Giggs pressured a Frickley defender to score crazy 40-yard own goal v FC United of Manchester
- November 17, 2013
Comedy moment as Frickley player scores an own goal from the half way line!! Giggs claims the assist as he put him under pressure. 1-0 FC!
— FC United Manchester (@FCUnitedMcr) November 16, 2013
One of the best/worst own goals of the season was spotted in the Evostik Northern Premier League, Premier Division, on Saturday as FC United of Manchester beat Frickley Athletic 3-0.
FC United of Manchester, the club who were formed by disenfranchised supporters of Manchester United, claimed a comprehensive win at Gigg Lane at the weekend after a bizarre own goal broke the deadlock.
Early in the second half, with the match still goalless, FC United repelled a Frickley corner as the ball was lumped upfield towards Ryan Giggs’ brother, Rhodri. Rhodri, however, was always second favourite to reach the hoofed clearance as Frickley defender Steven Gardener had the better starting position on the sibling of the Man United legend.
Then came the madness.
Under no real pressure, Frickley’s Gardener opted to lump the ball towards his own keeper, only for the full-back to soar his pass over his own keeper for a crazy 40-yard own goal.
Watch the amazing own goal below.
The 10 Worst Signings of The 14/15 Premier League Season
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]