Referee Cuneyt Cakir has a Twitter account, follows Real Madrid & Cristiano Ronaldo
- March 5, 2013
— Cüneyt Çakır (@RefereeCuneyt) July 7, 2012
Well, this is an interesting angle on the man who controversially sent off Nani when Manchester United were 2-1 up on aggregate against Real Madrid.
Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir has a Twitter account. It has not been verified with a blue tick and the official has not Tweeted since late February 2013, but it will likely have the conspiracy theorists working over time.
Cakir only ever sent 164 Tweets and appears to have left the social network on February 28 after he was subjected to insults.
This is likely to be as a result of the game Cakir officiated on February 22, when he sent off Bursaspor’s Maurice Edu against Gaziantepspor.
Intriguingly, Cakir follows Real Madrid, Cristiano Ronaldo and Marca on Twitter. Of course, he is unable to follow Manchester United since they do not have a Twitter account.
Of the other 38 accounts Cakir follows on Twitter, the majority are Turkish clubs but he also counts the Spanish tourist board on his list.
If this is a real account, and this is by no means certain, shouldn’t having public accounts on social networks be outlawed by UEFA for Champions League referees?
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...