Raymond Domenech claims France qualifying for World Cup was catalyst for Ukraine crisis [GQ Magazine]
An amateur astrologer and general eccentric, former France manager Raymond Domenech is no stranger to outlandish and improbable claims.
In an interview with French GQ Magazine, Domenech has made the incredible extrapolation that France beating Ukraine in last November’s World Cup qualifier was the catalyst behind the political crisis now sweeping the country, seemingly on the cusp of war with Russia.
Domenech told GQ:
The Ukrainians thought they had qualified.
If they had eliminated us, they would have something to cling on to by saying: ‘We’re going to the World Cup, let’s talk about something else and take on the Russians on the pitch.’ Involuntarily, we are perhaps partially responsible for the crisis in Ukraine.”
“When I see what state we put Ukraine in, it depresses me. If only Ukraine had won. We saw it in 1998 [in France, the World Cup winners that year], when GDP rose by 1%. Confidence meant that people consumed.”
Watch Live Stream
- Man United’s Morgan Schneiderlin posts positive message after leaving France Euro 2016 squadMay 29th, 2016
- Man United legend Eric Cantona accuses French boss Didier Deschamps of racism in picking squadMay 26th, 2016
- Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane ruled out of Euro 2016 with injuryMay 24th, 2016
- Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba talks Zinedine Zidane and France’s chances in Euro 2016 (Video)May 21st, 2016
- Andriy Yarmolenko fires Ukraine to a 1-0 win over Wales (Official Video)March 29th, 2016
- Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho was scouting Andriy Yarmolenko last night [AS]October 13th, 2015
- Fail! Ukraine midfielder Oleh Gusev lashed the ball at his own face during game against Lithuania...November 20th, 2014
- Insane! Ukrainian substitute punches referee in the face in Rivne Supercup match [Video]November 11th, 2014