Michael Owen attracts a wave of abuse after the ex-Liverpool player joins The Sun newspaper
Until this day most people in the city of Liverpool refuse to buy The Sun newspaper after the tabloid’s shameful and disgraceful reporting of the Hillsborough disaster over twenty years ago.
The boycott of The Sun goes back to April 1989 after The Sun spread lies and inaccuracies claiming that drunken Liverpool fans urinated on and picked the pockets of the dead, hampered rescue efforts and attacked policemen during the Hillsborough tragedy in which 96 Reds fans lost their lives.
As is now known, The Sun’s report, labelled “The Truth”, was anything but.
Within that context, many Liverpool fans have reacted with outrage after news broke on Tuesday night that former Scouse striker Michael Owen has agreed to become a columnist for the red-top.
Owen, 33 and now retired, played 216 games for Liverpool scoring 118 goals.
A series of angry reactions to the news Michael Owen has joined The Sun’s payroll are below.
— Stephanie Navarro (@CXStephanie) July 16, 2013
So… Michael Owen has written for the sun. Ok, join a rival like United, time will heal the situation. But THIS!? Lower than low! #GONE
— Connor (@ConnorwilsonLFC) July 16, 2013
— Kyle Percy (@KylePercy) July 16, 2013
— Harry Gorst (@harrygorst) July 16, 2013
Supporting Everton, fine. Leaving Liverpool, fine. Joining United, fair enough. Writing for The Sun? We're disowning you, @themichaelowen.
— Tom (@_tommurphy) July 16, 2013
Watch Live Stream
- Borussia Dortmund reject Liverpool’s £11m bid for Christian Pulisic, loan move possible [ESPN]August 29, 2016
- Twitter explodes as rumours circulate that Jordan Henderson will replace Wayne Rooney as England captainAugust 29, 2016
- Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho rejects loan move to Stoke City [Telegraph & Mirror]August 29, 2016
- Dinamo’s Ante Coric explains why he’s rejected a move to Liverpool [Vecernji list]August 29, 2016
- Liverpool fans angered by Michael Owen’s blunt Premier League title prediction on TwitterAugust 19, 2016
- Arsenal fans love the fact Arsene Wenger is smarter than Michael Owen [Tweets]June 22, 2016
- Rafa Benitez and Michael Owen spoofed in Darren Farley Euro 2016 preview (Video)June 4, 2016
- Michael Owen panned for claiming Everton’s John Stones could walk into Barcelona’s team (Video & Tweets)June 2, 2016