Michael Owen attracts a wave of abuse after the ex-Liverpool player joins The Sun newspaper
- July 16, 2013
Until this day most people in the city of Liverpool refuse to buy The Sun newspaper after the tabloid’s shameful and disgraceful reporting of the Hillsborough disaster over twenty years ago.
The boycott of The Sun goes back to April 1989 after The Sun spread lies and inaccuracies claiming that drunken Liverpool fans urinated on and picked the pockets of the dead, hampered rescue efforts and attacked policemen during the Hillsborough tragedy in which 96 Reds fans lost their lives.
As is now known, The Sun’s report, labelled “The Truth”, was anything but.
Within that context, many Liverpool fans have reacted with outrage after news broke on Tuesday night that former Scouse striker Michael Owen has agreed to become a columnist for the red-top.
Owen, 33 and now retired, played 216 games for Liverpool scoring 118 goals.
A series of angry reactions to the news Michael Owen has joined The Sun’s payroll are below.
— Stephanie Navarro (@CXStephanie) July 16, 2013
So… Michael Owen has written for the sun. Ok, join a rival like United, time will heal the situation. But THIS!? Lower than low! #GONE
— Connor (@ConnorwilsonLFC) July 16, 2013
— Kyle Percy (@KylePercy) July 16, 2013
— Harry Gorst (@harrygorst) July 16, 2013
Supporting Everton, fine. Leaving Liverpool, fine. Joining United, fair enough. Writing for The Sun? We're disowning you, @themichaelowen.
— Tom (@_tommurphy) July 16, 2013
- Liverpool announce signing of Taiwo Awoniyi, immediately send him on loan to Frankfurt
- Man United target Anthony Martial likes playing FIFA with Liverpool [Tweets]
- Liverpool & Sunderland fans make plenty of jokes on Fabio Borini’s potential...
- Liverpool’s Lazar Markovic presented at Fenerbahce after completing loan move
- Dejan Lovren deletes his Instagram account after abuse from Liverpool fans (Tweets)
- Slaven Bilic tries to explain West Ham’s incredible away form this season
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...