Michael Owen attracts a wave of abuse after the ex-Liverpool player joins The Sun newspaper
Until this day most people in the city of Liverpool refuse to buy The Sun newspaper after the tabloid’s shameful and disgraceful reporting of the Hillsborough disaster over twenty years ago.
The boycott of The Sun goes back to April 1989 after The Sun spread lies and inaccuracies claiming that drunken Liverpool fans urinated on and picked the pockets of the dead, hampered rescue efforts and attacked policemen during the Hillsborough tragedy in which 96 Reds fans lost their lives.
As is now known, The Sun’s report, labelled “The Truth”, was anything but.
Within that context, many Liverpool fans have reacted with outrage after news broke on Tuesday night that former Scouse striker Michael Owen has agreed to become a columnist for the red-top.
Owen, 33 and now retired, played 216 games for Liverpool scoring 118 goals.
A series of angry reactions to the news Michael Owen has joined The Sun’s payroll are below.
— Stephanie Navarro (@CXStephanie) July 16, 2013
So… Michael Owen has written for the sun. Ok, join a rival like United, time will heal the situation. But THIS!? Lower than low! #GONE
— Connor (@ConnorwilsonLFC) July 16, 2013
— Kyle Percy (@KylePercy) July 16, 2013
— Harry Gorst (@harrygorst) July 16, 2013
Supporting Everton, fine. Leaving Liverpool, fine. Joining United, fair enough. Writing for The Sun? We're disowning you, @themichaelowen.
— Tom (@_tommurphy) July 16, 2013
Watch Live Stream
- Liverpool in talks with Steven Gerrard over a return to Anfield [The Express]October 23, 2016
- Joel Matip heaps praise on Philippe Coutinho following West Brom winOctober 23, 2016
- Jurgen Klopp bursts out laughing after funny mix-up in post-match interview (Video)October 23, 2016
- West Brom boss Tony Pulis explains why he thinks Liverpool can win the title (Video)October 23, 2016
- Wayne Rooney has the final word v Michael Owen over supporting LiverpoolOctober 23, 2016
- Trolled: Man United’s Wayne Rooney calls out Liverpool old boy Michael Owen on TwitterOctober 22, 2016
- Paul Scholes is ‘certain’ that Wayne Rooney will come back for Man United’s biggest games (Video)September 30, 2016
- Michael Owen reveals he spent rest of his career trying to return to LiverpoolSeptember 5, 2016