Michael Owen attracts a wave of abuse after the ex-Liverpool player joins The Sun newspaper
Until this day most people in the city of Liverpool refuse to buy The Sun newspaper after the tabloid’s shameful and disgraceful reporting of the Hillsborough disaster over twenty years ago.
The boycott of The Sun goes back to April 1989 after The Sun spread lies and inaccuracies claiming that drunken Liverpool fans urinated on and picked the pockets of the dead, hampered rescue efforts and attacked policemen during the Hillsborough tragedy in which 96 Reds fans lost their lives.
As is now known, The Sun’s report, labelled “The Truth”, was anything but.
Within that context, many Liverpool fans have reacted with outrage after news broke on Tuesday night that former Scouse striker Michael Owen has agreed to become a columnist for the red-top.
Owen, 33 and now retired, played 216 games for Liverpool scoring 118 goals.
A series of angry reactions to the news Michael Owen has joined The Sun’s payroll are below.
— Stephanie Navarro (@CXStephanie) July 16, 2013
So… Michael Owen has written for the sun. Ok, join a rival like United, time will heal the situation. But THIS!? Lower than low! #GONE
— Connor (@ConnorwilsonLFC) July 16, 2013
— Kyle Percy (@KylePercy) July 16, 2013
— Harry Gorst (@harrygorst) July 16, 2013
Supporting Everton, fine. Leaving Liverpool, fine. Joining United, fair enough. Writing for The Sun? We're disowning you, @themichaelowen.
— Tom (@_tommurphy) July 16, 2013
Watch Live Stream
- Liverpool set for a Champions League return at BarcelonaDecember 5, 2016
- Layton Ndukwu scores from his own half for Leicester U23s v Liverpool (video)December 5, 2016
- Jamie Carragher reveals his MNF talking points on Antonio Conte, Liverpool & Man United (Video)December 5, 2016
- Rumours spread that Liverpool are about to sign a Dutch internationalDecember 5, 2016
- Paul Scholes cheekily hints he was better than Steven Gerrard (Videos)November 24, 2016
- Michael Owen baffled as to why Michael Carrick isn’t starting with Paul Pogba (Video)November 4, 2016
- Michael Owen picks apart Man United’s team, says most are not good enough (Video)November 3, 2016
- Michael Owen backs Barcelona’s Luis Suarez for Ballon d’Or [France Football]October 27, 2016