Manchester United to buy Penarol right back Guillermo Varela for €1.8m + €1m in variables
- June 6, 2013
Uruguayan journalist Mark Lacaze, known for being an expert in all things Penarol, has reported that Manchester United are on the verge of signing right back Guillermo Varela for €1.8m + €1m in variables.
Varela, a 20-year-old full back, had a trial at Old Trafford last month, and by all accounts defender made a good impression during his stay in Manchester.
Mark Lacaze has now reported that Verala has flown to England in order to sign a deal with Manchester United along with Penarol’s club representative Rodolfo Catino.
Despite having yet to break into the Penarol first team, Varela is a youngster with a big reputation for being an offensive full back who can also defend.
Varela has gained his reputation during a series of matches for Uruguay’s youth sides, and the upstart will represent the Celeste later this month at FIFA’s Under-20 World Cup in Turkey.
A 30-minute video of Guillermo Varela in action can be seen below.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...