Manchester United to buy Penarol right back Guillermo Varela for €1.8m + €1m in variables
- June 6, 2013
Uruguayan journalist Mark Lacaze, known for being an expert in all things Penarol, has reported that Manchester United are on the verge of signing right back Guillermo Varela for €1.8m + €1m in variables.
Varela, a 20-year-old full back, had a trial at Old Trafford last month, and by all accounts defender made a good impression during his stay in Manchester.
Mark Lacaze has now reported that Verala has flown to England in order to sign a deal with Manchester United along with Penarol’s club representative Rodolfo Catino.
Despite having yet to break into the Penarol first team, Varela is a youngster with a big reputation for being an offensive full back who can also defend.
Varela has gained his reputation during a series of matches for Uruguay’s youth sides, and the upstart will represent the Celeste later this month at FIFA’s Under-20 World Cup in Turkey.
A 30-minute video of Guillermo Varela in action can be seen below.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi