Liverpool agree season loan deal for Benfica’s left back Lorenzo Melgarejo [Duncan Castles]
- July 30, 2013
Sunday Times journalist Duncan Castles has gone to print with news that Liverpool have agreed season loan deal for Benfica’s left back Lorenzo Melgarejo.
Liverpool and Benfica have agreed the transfer of Paraguayan left back Lorenzo Melgarejo subject to a work permit.
Melgarejo will move to Anfield on an initial single-season loan with Liverpool holding an option to make the transfer permanent for a fee of less than €10million next summer.
Known for his skill on the ball, the 1m78 Melgarejo is not a particularly combative defender. He is, however, a low-cost option for Liverpool, being paid around €500,000 a year at present.
While Melgarejo failed to cut the mustard at Benfica, the Paraguayan international is still regarded as a talent having burst onto the scene with Paços Ferreira in the 2011-12 season.
Playing as a left-winger for Pacos, Melgarejo finished that season as the club’s top scorer with 10 goals in 29 league games, as the South American was credited with almost single-handedly saving the club from relegation.
Consensus opinion seems to be that Melgarejo is best suited to playing in an attacking role down the down side, rather than relying of the player as a left-back.
- Liverpool fans aren’t happy with reports Lazar Markovic may be going back to Benf...
- Manchester United agree terms with Benfica midfielder Nicolas Gaitan [Sky Italia]
- Shocking: Benfica boss Jorge Jesus is taking over at Sporting Lisbon [Portuguese Papers...
- Man United to seal Nico Gaitan’s signing from Benfica by selling Angel di Maria [...
- Man United may offload Nani to Benfica in the deal to sign Nico Gaitan [Sapo]
- Man United fans joke about signing Nico Gaitan again [Best Tweets]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi