Liverpool agree season loan deal for Benfica’s left back Lorenzo Melgarejo [Duncan Castles]
Sunday Times journalist Duncan Castles has gone to print with news that Liverpool have agreed season loan deal for Benfica’s left back Lorenzo Melgarejo.
Liverpool and Benfica have agreed the transfer of Paraguayan left back Lorenzo Melgarejo subject to a work permit.
Melgarejo will move to Anfield on an initial single-season loan with Liverpool holding an option to make the transfer permanent for a fee of less than €10million next summer.
Known for his skill on the ball, the 1m78 Melgarejo is not a particularly combative defender. He is, however, a low-cost option for Liverpool, being paid around €500,000 a year at present.
While Melgarejo failed to cut the mustard at Benfica, the Paraguayan international is still regarded as a talent having burst onto the scene with Paços Ferreira in the 2011-12 season.
Playing as a left-winger for Pacos, Melgarejo finished that season as the club’s top scorer with 10 goals in 29 league games, as the South American was credited with almost single-handedly saving the club from relegation.
Consensus opinion seems to be that Melgarejo is best suited to playing in an attacking role down the down side, rather than relying of the player as a left-back.
Watch Live Stream
- Man United confirmed to be in the driving seat to sign Benfica defender Victor Lindelof [Fotbollskanalen]November 29, 2016
- Another Swede tipped to join Zlatan Ibrahimovic at Man United [O Jogo]November 27, 2016
- Unreal: Ricardo Quaresma (Besiktas) bags amazing 89th minute rabona assist v Benfica (Video)November 23, 2016
- Benfica’s Gedson Fernandes scores from the halfway line v Besiktas (video)November 23, 2016
- It’s not certain Liverpool will lose Joel Matip in JanuaryDecember 8, 2016
- Joey Barton calls out Steven Gerrard’s coaching credentials (Video)December 8, 2016
- Top striker criticised for not joining Liverpool or Arsenal (BBC Video)December 8, 2016
- Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool are worse at defending than under Brendan RodgersDecember 7, 2016