Liverpool agree season loan deal for Benfica’s left back Lorenzo Melgarejo [Duncan Castles]
Sunday Times journalist Duncan Castles has gone to print with news that Liverpool have agreed season loan deal for Benfica’s left back Lorenzo Melgarejo.
Liverpool and Benfica have agreed the transfer of Paraguayan left back Lorenzo Melgarejo subject to a work permit.
Melgarejo will move to Anfield on an initial single-season loan with Liverpool holding an option to make the transfer permanent for a fee of less than €10million next summer.
Known for his skill on the ball, the 1m78 Melgarejo is not a particularly combative defender. He is, however, a low-cost option for Liverpool, being paid around €500,000 a year at present.
While Melgarejo failed to cut the mustard at Benfica, the Paraguayan international is still regarded as a talent having burst onto the scene with Paços Ferreira in the 2011-12 season.
Playing as a left-winger for Pacos, Melgarejo finished that season as the club’s top scorer with 10 goals in 29 league games, as the South American was credited with almost single-handedly saving the club from relegation.
Consensus opinion seems to be that Melgarejo is best suited to playing in an attacking role down the down side, rather than relying of the player as a left-back.
Watch Live Stream
- Man City boss Pep Guardiola went undercover to watch Benfica’s Alex GrimaldoSeptember 21, 2016
- Benfica v Braga: Online Live Streaming video [HD] 2016-09-19September 16, 2016
- Anderson Talisca’s wife Anna Paula Ramos reveals racist abuse from Benfica fansSeptember 14, 2016
- Ricardo Quaresma and Besiktas were ecstatic to get Benfica in the UCL draw [Instagram]August 26, 2016
- Mino Raiola explained to Nice why they shouldn’t sign Mario Balotelli from LiverpoolSeptember 29, 2016
- Liverpool’s Mamadou Sakho handed lifeline by Jurgen Klopp with under-23 chanceSeptember 28, 2016
- Liverpool’s Sadio Mane wins a Premier League awardSeptember 28, 2016
- Chelsea & Liverpool stars battle Kevin De Bruyne & Michail Antonio for a Premier League awardSeptember 27, 2016