- 10Bet Exclusive Bonus: 50% Up To £200 Free!
- Bet365 Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £200 Free!
- NetBet Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £100 Free!
- Bet365 Live streaming - Watch Live Sports
- BoyleSports Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £50 Free!
- Ladbrokes Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £50 Free!
- Betfred Exclusive Bonus: 100% up to £25!
- Winner Sports Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £200 Free!
- 18Bet Exclusive Bonus: 150% Up To £30 Free!
- Betway Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £50 Free!
- Vernons Sports Exclusive Bonus: 100% up to £25 Free!
Liverpool agree season loan deal for Benfica’s left back Lorenzo Melgarejo [Duncan Castles]
- Updated: July 30, 2013
Sunday Times journalist Duncan Castles has gone to print with news that Liverpool have agreed season loan deal for Benfica’s left back Lorenzo Melgarejo.
Liverpool and Benfica have agreed the transfer of Paraguayan left back Lorenzo Melgarejo subject to a work permit.
Melgarejo will move to Anfield on an initial single-season loan with Liverpool holding an option to make the transfer permanent for a fee of less than €10million next summer.
Known for his skill on the ball, the 1m78 Melgarejo is not a particularly combative defender. He is, however, a low-cost option for Liverpool, being paid around €500,000 a year at present.
While Melgarejo failed to cut the mustard at Benfica, the Paraguayan international is still regarded as a talent having burst onto the scene with Paços Ferreira in the 2011-12 season.
Playing as a left-winger for Pacos, Melgarejo finished that season as the club’s top scorer with 10 goals in 29 league games, as the South American was credited with almost single-handedly saving the club from relegation.
Consensus opinion seems to be that Melgarejo is best suited to playing in an attacking role down the down side, rather than relying of the player as a left-back.