Lionel Messi rejected €250m Adidas-backed offers from Chelsea & Bayern Munich last summer [Punto Pelota]
- October 25, 2013
Spanish TV show Punto Pelota released a fresh piece of transfer gossip on Thursday night reporting that Barcelona’s Lionel Messi rejected three (!) €250m offers last summer.
The show’s inside-man François Gallardo reported that Adidas desperately tried to get Lionel Messi to join one of their club-sponsored teams last summer, with Bayern Munich named outright on Punto Pelota to have submitted a €250m bid for the Argentinian superstar.
Messi signed a new Barcelona contract in December last year that runs until 2018 but the contract contains a release clause of €250m.
According to François Gallardo, Adidas were ready to fund half the transfer fee, €125m, for Bayern in order to get Messi to move to the Allainz Arena. Moreover, Bayern tabled a lucrative salary offer that exceeded Messi’s current wages in which the forward would receive €20 million per season in salaries, plus he would retain 100% of his individual image rights.
When the deal was presented to Messi, however, La Pulga refused the deal outright claiming he was happy to stay at Barcelona.
Whilst Bayern Munich were specifically named in the report in Punto Pelota, one of the two other teams rumoured to have tabled a whopping €250m Adidas-backed bid for Messi was Chelsea.
Footage (in Spanish) of François Gallardo’s report into the €250m Adidas-backed offers for Lionel Messi is below.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...