Lionel Messi rejected €250m Adidas-backed offers from Chelsea & Bayern Munich last summer [Punto Pelota]
- October 25, 2013
Spanish TV show Punto Pelota released a fresh piece of transfer gossip on Thursday night reporting that Barcelona’s Lionel Messi rejected three (!) €250m offers last summer.
The show’s inside-man François Gallardo reported that Adidas desperately tried to get Lionel Messi to join one of their club-sponsored teams last summer, with Bayern Munich named outright on Punto Pelota to have submitted a €250m bid for the Argentinian superstar.
Messi signed a new Barcelona contract in December last year that runs until 2018 but the contract contains a release clause of €250m.
According to François Gallardo, Adidas were ready to fund half the transfer fee, €125m, for Bayern in order to get Messi to move to the Allainz Arena. Moreover, Bayern tabled a lucrative salary offer that exceeded Messi’s current wages in which the forward would receive €20 million per season in salaries, plus he would retain 100% of his individual image rights.
When the deal was presented to Messi, however, La Pulga refused the deal outright claiming he was happy to stay at Barcelona.
Whilst Bayern Munich were specifically named in the report in Punto Pelota, one of the two other teams rumoured to have tabled a whopping €250m Adidas-backed bid for Messi was Chelsea.
Footage (in Spanish) of François Gallardo’s report into the €250m Adidas-backed offers for Lionel Messi is below.
- Chelsea attacker Oscar stars in life-size video game for new Adidas Predator boot advert
- A projected Messi scores a goal on the buildings of Barcelona in new Adidas ad [Video]
- New details emerge of Man United’s mega Adidas deal [BBC]
- Manchester United’s new Adidas kit deal is ENORMOUS compared to Europe’s bi...
- Adidas release excellent animated highlights montage to mark the end of the World Cup [...
- Manchester United & Adidas confirm kit deal worth £750m over 10 years!
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi