Last man David Luiz (Chelsea) hauled down Everton’s Kevin Mirallas on the halfway line, only a yellow
Should Chelsea defender David Luiz have been sent off at Everton on Saturday night?
With eight minutes remaining at Goodison Park, Everton were furious with ref Howard Webb’s reaction after David Luiz hauled down Kevin Mirallas on the halfway line.
Luiz was definitely the last man in the Chelsea defence after Everton launched a counter-attack from a Blues corner. Put another way, had Mirallas bypassed Luiz then the Everton forward would have had an excellent goal scoring opportunity.
Then there was Luiz’s foul itself. The Brazilian purposely stretched his arm across the Belgian forward’s chest in an obvious attempt to bring him to the ground. It was blatant.
Fortunately for Luiz, two things counted in his favour . One, the distance between Mirallas and the goal and, two, the proximity of John Obi Mikel to the incident.
So was Howard Webb right?
Watch the incident and read a series of tweets on Luiz’s foul below.
— michael owen (@themichaelowen) September 14, 2013
How on earth did Match of the Day not show the Luiz foul on Mirallas? It was a major talking point in my opinion.
— Darren Griffiths (@DGriffiths65) September 14, 2013
Strange that Match Of The Day didn't show Luiz's foul on Mirallas. That was one of the game's main talking points.
— Tony Barrett (@TonyBarretTimes) September 14, 2013
Ultra cynical by David Luiz there but his manager will be pleased. Had he not hauled Mirallas down the Belgian was clear through #EFC
— Greg O'Keeffe (@GregOK) September 14, 2013
Yellow for Luiz for pulling down Mirallis. Locals wanted a red. It was in the centre circles guys – hardly a goalscoring opportunity.
— Dan Levene (@BluesChronicle) September 14, 2013
Watch Live Stream
- Chelsea’s Cesc Fabregas celebrates his glorious career & his days at Arsenal [Instagram]October 28, 2016
- Eye-opening shooting stats make good reading for Chelsea & Liverpool fans [Opta]October 28, 2016
- Chelsea legend Frank Lampard reveals who his best friends in football are (Video)October 27, 2016
- Police investigating West Ham fans over homophobic flyer about Chelsea’s John TerryOctober 27, 2016
- Jose Mourinho refuses to comment on referee’s decision not to send David Luiz off (Video)October 23, 2016
- Graeme Souness: Ref bottled sending Chelsea’s David Luiz off v Man United (Video)October 23, 2016
- Joker: David Luiz trolls a young Chelsea fan (Video)October 21, 2016
- David Luiz is looking forward to Chelsea v Manchester United (video)October 21, 2016
- Everton boss Ronald Koeman offers Wayne Rooney an exit from Man United (Video)October 28, 2016
- Bad news for Everton’s Oumar Niasse & Leighton BainesOctober 20, 2016
- Former Man City & Everton striker Jo talks about his battle with alcohol [Globo]October 19, 2016
- Oumar Niasse scores a hat-trick for Everton U23 v Reading (Official Video)October 18, 2016