Last man David Luiz (Chelsea) hauled down Everton’s Kevin Mirallas on the halfway line, only a yellow
- September 15, 2013
Should Chelsea defender David Luiz have been sent off at Everton on Saturday night?
With eight minutes remaining at Goodison Park, Everton were furious with ref Howard Webb’s reaction after David Luiz hauled down Kevin Mirallas on the halfway line.
Luiz was definitely the last man in the Chelsea defence after Everton launched a counter-attack from a Blues corner. Put another way, had Mirallas bypassed Luiz then the Everton forward would have had an excellent goal scoring opportunity.
Then there was Luiz’s foul itself. The Brazilian purposely stretched his arm across the Belgian forward’s chest in an obvious attempt to bring him to the ground. It was blatant.
Fortunately for Luiz, two things counted in his favour . One, the distance between Mirallas and the goal and, two, the proximity of John Obi Mikel to the incident.
So was Howard Webb right?
Watch the incident and read a series of tweets on Luiz’s foul below.
— michael owen (@themichaelowen) September 14, 2013
How on earth did Match of the Day not show the Luiz foul on Mirallas? It was a major talking point in my opinion.
— Darren Griffiths (@DGriffiths65) September 14, 2013
Strange that Match Of The Day didn't show Luiz's foul on Mirallas. That was one of the game's main talking points.
— Tony Barrett (@TonyBarretTimes) September 14, 2013
Ultra cynical by David Luiz there but his manager will be pleased. Had he not hauled Mirallas down the Belgian was clear through #EFC
— Greg O'Keeffe (@GregOK) September 14, 2013
Yellow for Luiz for pulling down Mirallis. Locals wanted a red. It was in the centre circles guys – hardly a goalscoring opportunity.
— Dan Levene (@BluesChronicle) September 14, 2013
- Chelsea thwarted again: Everton reject John Stones’ transfer request
- EPL enhanced offers!!! 5/1 Arsenal to beat Newcastle, 6/1 Spurs v Everton & Real M...
- Europe is blue: An amazing map of where Chelsea’s 26 loanees are (Picture)
- Everton’s John Stones cried in a service station as fans quizzed him about moving...
- Everton fans abuse John Stones after Barnsley. Call Chelsea target a “rat”,...
- Man United fans rehash Radamel Falcao’s old song for keeper Sergio Romero (Fan Ca...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...