Just like Theo Walcott, no fuss! Gareth Bale showed Arsenal fans the score last season…
“The doctors said the coins were raining over his head and they had to protect him. Maybe that is why he did that [scoreline gesture]. It is not offensive. I have seen the pictures after the game and he does not even look aggressive. He is just smiling. I don’t think so… You look for every single incident, and I understand that. But at some stage it is a reaction. If they judge it offensive what can I say?” – Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.
Arsenal’s comfortable win over Tottenham in the FA Cup on Saturday featured an amusing incident that was picked up by many as a “controversy” in the final 10 minutes.
Injured Theo Walcott left the pitch on a stretcher and responded to the coins being thrown from Spurs fans, by showing them the score with his hands.
Both Arsene Wenger (see quote above) and Tim Sherwood (“just a bit of banter”) played this down after Arsenal’s FA Cup win, but forgotten was Gareth Bale’s celebration at White Hart Lane last season.
Bale scored in Tottenham’s 2-1 win over Arsenal on March 3, 2013 and at full time signalled to the crowd, the scoreline 2-1.
And, there was absolutely no issue made of Gareth Bale’s celebration…
Watch Live Stream
- Juventus become bookies’ favourites to sign Jack Wilshere on loan [Tweets]August 30, 2016
- Jack Wilshere is allowed to leave Arsenal on loan after crunch talks with the club [Sky Sports]August 29, 2016
- Lucas Perez pictured at Heathrow Airport ahead of Arsenal unveilingAugust 29, 2016
- Olivier Giroud discusses Arsenal’s title chances & hails Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s influence at Man UnitedAugust 29, 2016
- Man United tipped to sign Real Madrid star Gareth Bale in a BS article in the Sunday StarAugust 27, 2016
- Antoine Griezmann mocked online for terrible outfit [Best Tweets & Jokes]August 25, 2016
- The new Champions League ball features hand written messages from Mesut Ozil & Gareth BaleAugust 25, 2016
- Gareth Bale renews Real Madrid contract, will be joint 2nd highest paid player [Marca]August 23, 2016
- Excuse me? Bayern Munich’s David Alaba says Arsenal’s Theo Walcott is his toughest opponent (Video)August 4, 2016
- Arsenal fans on Twitter lay into Theo Walcott during woeful display v MLS All Stars [Tweets]July 29, 2016
- Theo Walcott uploads an intense training video on InstagramJuly 10, 2016
- Liverpool get the green light to sign an Arsenal forward [Evening Standard]June 13, 2016