Just like Theo Walcott, no fuss! Gareth Bale showed Arsenal fans the score last season…
- January 5, 2014
“The doctors said the coins were raining over his head and they had to protect him. Maybe that is why he did that [scoreline gesture]. It is not offensive. I have seen the pictures after the game and he does not even look aggressive. He is just smiling. I don’t think so… You look for every single incident, and I understand that. But at some stage it is a reaction. If they judge it offensive what can I say?” – Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.
Arsenal’s comfortable win over Tottenham in the FA Cup on Saturday featured an amusing incident that was picked up by many as a “controversy” in the final 10 minutes.
Injured Theo Walcott left the pitch on a stretcher and responded to the coins being thrown from Spurs fans, by showing them the score with his hands.
Both Arsene Wenger (see quote above) and Tim Sherwood (“just a bit of banter”) played this down after Arsenal’s FA Cup win, but forgotten was Gareth Bale’s celebration at White Hart Lane last season.
Bale scored in Tottenham’s 2-1 win over Arsenal on March 3, 2013 and at full time signalled to the crowd, the scoreline 2-1.
And, there was absolutely no issue made of Gareth Bale’s celebration…
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...