How Arsenal, Dortmund or Napoli can qualify from the Group of Death [Permutations Graphic]
Considering Chelsea have qualified to the knockout rounds of the Champions League with 9 points, Arsenal can count themselves very unlucky not to have booked their spot having bagged four wins in the group stages.
Arsene Wenger’s side have negotiated the “Group of Death” in fine style and it has live up to its billing – undoubtedly including three of the finest sides in Europe.
And then there is Marseille.
OM have been a major disappointment. Losing every game. And on Tuesday night they held back some of their best players to save them for bigger challenges in Ligue 1.
As a result, Arsenal, Borussia Dortmund and Napoli can all still qualify from Group F although the Gunners and Germans look like clear favourites to do it.
Above is a graphic explaining the permutations.
Below is the ESPN’s take on Group F – click here for permutations of all the Champions League groups as it currently stands.
Group F Remaining fixtures: Napoli vs. Arsenal, Marseille vs. Dortmund
Has any team qualified yet? No, though Marseille have been eliminated from Europe altogether with zero points.
Who can still qualify? It’s exceptionally close and the group is still on track for an amazing three-way 12-point tie at the top. Arsenal and Dortmund are very strong favourites to go through though. Arsenal only need to avoid defeat to Napoli by three or more goals to guarantee their place, while Napoli will go through if they better Dortmund’s result. However, if both Napoli and Dortmund win then we have three teams on 12 points and a mini-league is created just involving the results of those teams. In that scenario Dortmund are guaranteed to qualify, as their mini-league goal difference is +1 and cannot change; Arsenal have +2 and Napoli -3. Because of this Napoli can only qualify from the mini-league if they beat Arsenal by three goals, which would dump the Gunners into the Europa League.
Finally, here are the official tie break rules from UEFA on the Champions League group stages:
1) higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
2) superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
3) higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
4) higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;
5) If, after applying criteria 1) to 4) to several teams, two teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1) to 4) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the two teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6) to 8) apply;
6) superior goal difference from all group matches played;
7) higher number of goals scored from all group matches played;
8) higher number of coefficient points accumulated by the club in question, as well as its association, over the previous five seasons.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal’s Alex Iwobi kicking himself after missing chances against Reading [Snapchat]October 25, 2016
- Oxlade-Chamberlain scores brace as Arsenal beat Reading 2-0 [Tweets]October 25, 2016
- Giroud returns to the bench: Arsenal v Reading [Team Sheets]October 25, 2016
- Arsenal v Reading: Watch a live stream of the EFL Cup matchOctober 25, 2016
- Borussia Dortmund CEO claims Spanish giant is monitoring Thomas Tuchel [ZDF]October 24, 2016
- Unreal pace: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang sublime solo goal for Dortmund v Sporting (Video)October 18, 2016
- Borussia Dortmund’s Ousmane Dembele voted the 2016 Golden Boy winner [France Football]October 16, 2016
- Aubameyang set for more transfer gossip due to his choice of team on FIFA 17 (video)October 13, 2016
- Napoli doctor takes selfie during Arkadiusz Milik’s ACL surgery [Picture]October 10, 2016
- Wife of Switzerland’s Blerim Dzemaili, Erjona Sulejmani, named the most attractive fan in Europe [GQ Italy]October 10, 2016
- Napoli v Roma: Online Live Streaming video [HD] 2016-10-15October 9, 2016
- Napoli lose Arek Milik to a horror ACL injury, club look at free agents [Di Marzio]October 9, 2016