#FreeShinji: BVB fans launch Twitter campaign to resign Kagawa from Man United
Put #freeshinji into the Twitter search box and messages will start flowing down your screen like you’re watching the Matrix.
A new Twitter campaign launched by Borussia Dortmund fans is spreading fast as the Bundesliga supporters urge their club to try and resign Shinji Kagawa from Manchester United.
The online movement has a symbol: a picture of Manchester United’s Japanese forward locked behind bars.
The Dortmund fans spearheading the #freeshinji campaign believe that the Japanese international’s lack of participation at the start of the Premier League season for the Red Devils has set a precedent that Kagawa will only be a fringe player at Old Trafford under David Moyes.
Believing Kagawa to be far better than just a benchwarmer, the hope is that the #freeshinji group can rile up enough BVB fans to pressurise their club into trying to resign Shinji before the transfer window shuts on September 2nd.
The likelihood of Kagawa leaving Manchester United this summer however remain virtually zilch, as Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp admitted that he had contacted Kagawa after the departure of Mario Gotze to Bayern earlier in the summer, but that:
[Coming back] is not an option for him this year and not an option for us… This was made obvious quite quickly. Shinji wants to prove himself at Man United this season. I didnt think the response would be any different but better safe than sorry.
Kagawa made 26 appearances for United in 2012-13, scoring six times.
The #freeshinji thing isn't half talking off with it trending in Germany. I'm worried someone will literally kidnap him on the way to ASDA.
— Ross Dunbar (@rossdunbar93) August 27, 2013
Do the flashmob! Let's tweet #FreeShinji all together at 19:09 (7:09pm CET) today! :-)
— Anika (@Borussika) August 27, 2013
Reason why the Dortmund fans have chosen 19:09 as the time is, of course, because BVB were founded in 1909 (via @hermanschuller )
— Jonas Giæver (@CheGiaevara) August 27, 2013
— Gareth Bale (@GarethBale22) August 26, 2013
Someone reported that #FreeShinji was on Japanese news
— Irish Dortmund (@IrishDortmund) August 27, 2013
Shinji come back to Dortmund where you are loved and they know how to use you #FreeShinji
— Chris (@mrlibertine) August 26, 2013
Watch Live Stream
- Unreal pace: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang sublime solo goal for Dortmund v Sporting (Video)October 18, 2016
- Borussia Dortmund’s Ousmane Dembele voted the 2016 Golden Boy winner [France Football]October 16, 2016
- Aubameyang set for more transfer gossip due to his choice of team on FIFA 17 (video)October 13, 2016
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang reveals Man City tried to sign him in the summer [Quotes]October 4, 2016
- Jose Mourinho slams media for Paul Pogba criticism after 4-1 Man United win (Video)October 21, 2016
- Paul Pogba’s curious claim after Man United win over Fenerbahce (video)October 21, 2016
- David Luiz is looking forward to Chelsea v Manchester United (video)October 21, 2016
- Man United fans hail irreplaceable first team star after Fenerbahce win (video)October 21, 2016
- Shinji Kagawa on how he helped Marco Reus feature on the global cover of FIFA 17 (Video)July 23, 2016
- Shinji Kagawa’s sublime chip for Borussia Dortmund in the derby v Schalke (Video)April 10, 2016
- Shinji Kagawa took part in an adorable football event on Christmas Eve for Japanese kids (Video)December 27, 2015
- Man United old boys Shinji Kagawa & Chicharito score in the German Cup (Videos)October 28, 2015