Basel coach Murat Yakin admits he has held talks with Spurs [20 minutes]
- December 17, 2013
Basel may not have qualified for the Champions League knockout rounds but two wins over Chelsea will likely have impressed Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy.
Murat Yakin, who master minded a penalty shoot-out win over Spurs in the Europa League last season, has admitted today that he has held talks with the north London side about succeeding Andre Villas-Boas, according to Swiss website 20 minutes.
In October, Lazio were interested in bringing Yakin to Rome but he has denied any discussions with the Serie A side and revealed that there have been talks with Spurs.
Yakin is quoted as saying: “I had no contact with Lazio, but with Tottenham, yes.”
To add further fuel to the rumours, Tottenham Technical Director Franco Baldini was spotted at some of Basel’s Champions League games, where he was reportedly checking out the form of Egyptian right winger Mohamed Salah.
20 minutes add that Basel are going through a rocky spell after coming third in Group E of the Champions League.
Yakin’s contract expires at the end of the season which could make him a realistic candidate should Tim Sherwood fail to impress as Spurs interim coach.
If Yakin was to take over at White Hart Lane, there will be many comparisons with former Swiss boss Christian Gross who was appointed by Alan Sugar as Spurs boss in 1997 and only lasted nine months.
Wolfsburg’s Naldo & Vieirinha soak their boss with beer during his press conference
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]