Awesome! The Argentina squad, led by Messi & Mascherano, donated $135k WC bonus to cancer hospital
- July 16, 2014
Reports have emerged of a fantastic gesture from the Argentina squad that came runners-up at the World Cup after losing 1-0 to Germany in last Sunday’s final.
The World Cup runners-up donated 135,000 dollars to the paediatric cancer centre at the Hospital Garrahan in Buenos Aires.
This donation was made through the Lionel Messi Foundation that has previously given money to Hospital Garrahan.
According to widespread reports in Argentina, this donation was made at the behest of the two leaders of the Argentina side on the pitch: Lionel Messi and Javier Mascherano.
Messi and his foundation have had a link to the hospital since 2010.
The World Cup bonus money that was donated will ensure better quality of care for children with cancer, with 20 clinics, 70 outpatient beds and 20 beds for prolonged chemotherapy, in a total area of 4,800 square meters.
World Cup bonuses and their use has been the subject of much controversy for countries such as Ghana and Cameroon before and during the tournament.
- Leo Messi’s school in Rosario honour the Barca star with giant hand-painted tribu...
- “Eternal friend”: Diego Maradona posts about re-uniting with England-Argent...
- Man United & Man City stars selected for Argentina’s latest squad, Erik Lame...
- What. A. Goal. Substitute Eric Aparicio nets incredible long range golazo v Lanus (Video)
- Manchester United will sign Argentina number one Sergio Romero this weekend (ESPN)
- Matías Messi defends brother Leo from Argentina critics on Twitter
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...