- Watch Lionel Messi watch his Barcelona tribute for becoming La Liga top goal scorer
- AC Milan v Inter Milan: Watch a live stream of the Derby della Madonnina – available in UK
- Liverpool linked to £10m bid for Norwich’s Nathan Redmond in the Sunday Star [Picture]
- Superfan Claude doesn’t think Gunners will make top 4 after Man United loss [Arsenal Fan TV]
- Mario Balotelli turns up at the boxing, surely out of Crystal Palace v Liverpool
Awesome! The Argentina squad, led by Messi & Mascherano, donated $135k WC bonus to cancer hospital
Reports have emerged of a fantastic gesture from the Argentina squad that came runners-up at the World Cup after losing 1-0 to Germany in last Sunday’s final.
The World Cup runners-up donated 135,000 dollars to the paediatric cancer centre at the Hospital Garrahan in Buenos Aires.
This donation was made through the Lionel Messi Foundation that has previously given money to Hospital Garrahan.
According to widespread reports in Argentina, this donation was made at the behest of the two leaders of the Argentina side on the pitch: Lionel Messi and Javier Mascherano.
Messi and his foundation have had a link to the hospital since 2010.
The World Cup bonus money that was donated will ensure better quality of care for children with cancer, with 20 clinics, 70 outpatient beds and 20 beds for prolonged chemotherapy, in a total area of 4,800 square meters.
World Cup bonuses and their use has been the subject of much controversy for countries such as Ghana and Cameroon before and during the tournament.
- Updated: July 16, 2014