Awesome! The Argentina squad, led by Messi & Mascherano, donated $135k WC bonus to cancer hospital
- July 16, 2014
Reports have emerged of a fantastic gesture from the Argentina squad that came runners-up at the World Cup after losing 1-0 to Germany in last Sunday’s final.
The World Cup runners-up donated 135,000 dollars to the paediatric cancer centre at the Hospital Garrahan in Buenos Aires.
This donation was made through the Lionel Messi Foundation that has previously given money to Hospital Garrahan.
According to widespread reports in Argentina, this donation was made at the behest of the two leaders of the Argentina side on the pitch: Lionel Messi and Javier Mascherano.
Messi and his foundation have had a link to the hospital since 2010.
The World Cup bonus money that was donated will ensure better quality of care for children with cancer, with 20 clinics, 70 outpatient beds and 20 beds for prolonged chemotherapy, in a total area of 4,800 square meters.
World Cup bonuses and their use has been the subject of much controversy for countries such as Ghana and Cameroon before and during the tournament.
- Manchester United will sign Argentina number one Sergio Romero this weekend (ESPN)
- Matías Messi defends brother Leo from Argentina critics on Twitter
- Youtuber brilliantly demonstrates how Messi wasn’t to blame for Argentina’s...
- Leo Messi’s grandfather criticises his grandson’s Copa America performances...
- Leo Messi speaks for the 1st time after criticism in Argentina after the Copa America. ...
- Close up footage of Leo Messi’s brother, Matias, being harassed at the Copa Ameri...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi