Ancelotti’s bizarre solution to keeper issue: Lopez plays Liga, Casillas plays Europe [Marca]
- September 5, 2013
It seems Carlo Ancelotti’s come up with a novel Solomonian solution to his goalkeeper pickle, but it’s one more often seen at juvenile rather than professional level.
In order to keep everyone happy, Marca claim Ancelotti has told Iker he’ll get his chance this season, in the Champions League!
According to Marca, Ancelotti has decided Diego Lopez will continue in goal for La Liga, while Casillas, who he believes is currently behind in terms of form and condition, will play the Champions League.
The decision just doesn’t really hold up to logic though: the Champions League is the elite competition, and Madrid’s opponents – Juve, Galatasaray, and Copenhagen, – are far superior to most of the La Liga fodder the notional number 1 Diego Lopez will be facing.
As Marca reminds its readers, though, Madrid have history of alternating between keepers, as in 2001 for example, when they won the Champions League with Casillas finishing in goal, while Cesar had played most of the season.
The key difference between then and now, though, is that it wasn’t a pre-arranged strategy like this one, which just stinks of politicking and putting off the eventual decision.
[gthumb id=”351389″ size=”large” autoplay=”1″]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...