After injuring Neymar, Colombia’s Juan Zuniga receives racist abuse and death threats from Brazilians on Twitter
- July 5, 2014
After injuring Neymar and putting him out of the rest of the World Cup last night, Juan Zuniga was always going to find himself in the eye of a storm.
But that the criticism of Zuniga’s brutal foul on Neymar has descended into racial abuse and death threats is a sorry sight, but sadly is almost par for the course when these situations arise.
Brazilians have taken to Twitter to racially abuse Zuniga, calling him a ‘monkey’, and tagging him with death threats.
Several have issued cowardly warnings that Zuniga shouldn’t be allowed to leave Brazil alive, while others have limited themselves to hateful racial abuse.
It goes without saying that Brazil is one of the most racially diverse countries in the world; its society is reflected in this World Cup team, with players of all colour and creed, with several black players included (Dante, Willian).
Regardless, no player should have to put up with such race hate over a foul committed on the football pitch.
In a country of nearly 200 million, a handful of idiots are an unavoidable consequence, unfortunately.
Some of the sick Tweets from Brazilians to Zuniga can be seen below (‘Macaco’ is Portuguese for ‘Monkey’).
- Classic Clip: Brazil legend Pele nutmegs one of the best defenders ever, Franz Beckenba...
- Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho produced a glorious sombrero during Brazil’s ...
- Brazil players blamed Thiago Silva on the pitch for handball before shoot-out [Video]
- Individual highlights: New Liverpool star Roberto Firmino v Paraguay [video]
- Paraguay stun Brazil, eliminating Dunga’s side on penalties [Official Highlights]
- New Liverpool signing Roberto Firmino struggles for Brazil v Paraguay [Best Tweets]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi