A flare fight leads to arrests as Brondby beat FC Copenhagen in the cup
- November 29, 2012
Denmark witnessed football violence on Wednesday night at the end of Brondby-FC Copenhagen in the Danish cup.
Ten fans were arrested and one was taken to hospital with injuries following a pitch invasion at the conclusion of a dramatic cup derby.
In the first minute of extra time Mike Jensen fired Brondby ahead, and after the full time whistle blew 1000s of home fans rushed onto the pitch.
Originally the scenes seemed good natured as the fans looked interested in just celebrating with their players, who are struggling are the foot of the Superliga. But after a few minutes things became nastier as the Brondby fans headed en masse towards the visiting Copenhagen end, and a stand-off, with security in the middle, ensued.
With neither side over-eager for a knuckle fight, the height of the battle saw both sides lob lit flares into each others sections.
That sparked the police and security officials into actions, and soon after the Brondby ultras were fleeing to safety as the batons and arrests started coming out on the pitch.
Watch footage of the flare fight below.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...