The 2023 Ballon d’Or looks set to be contested by two players in the form of Lionel Messi and Erling Haaland.
Messi has dominated the award for many years and has seven trophies to his name, the most in history.
And after the Argentine won the 2022 World Cup with Argentina, he is once again in contention to pick up what would very likely be his final Ballon d’Or.
However, standing in Messi’s way is the favourite in many people’s eyes, Erling Haaland.
Haaland scored 52 goals in all competitions last season as Manchester City won the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup.
So, with Haaland one of the favourites and still only 23 years age, can he become the youngest Ballon d’Or winner?
The answer, unfortunately for Haaland, is no, with five more players already having picked up the award at a younger age.
5. Oleg Blokhin (1975) – 23 years, 1 Month 25 days
4. George Best (1968) – 22 years, 7 Months 2 days
3. Lionel Messi (2009) – 22 years, 5 Months 7 days
2. Michael Owen (2001) – 22 years, 4 days
1. Ronaldo Nazario (1997) – 21 years, 3 months, 5 days