What’s happening with Ajax’s Matthijs de Ligt?
19-year-old Matthijs de Ligt is still an Ajax player. But for how much longer?
The race to sign de Ligt is set to be one of the main European transfer stories in 2019.
Both Barcelona and Manchester United have been linked to the teenager in recent times.
However, the big news in Dutch daily Telegraaf on Wednesday is that PSG are ready to show their hand for the Netherlands international.
PSG & de Ligt
Telegraaf report that PSG have entered the race to sign de Ligt. Readers are also told the following:
Unlike FC Barcelona, PSG would be willing to pay the rumoured transfer fee of 85 million euros. The large commission for agent Mino Raiola would also not be a problem.
The bottom line for Telegraaf is this: it’s a battle between Barcelona and PSG for de Ligt.
Could Man United still sign de Ligt?
Sky Sports have previously claimed that Man United are out of the de Ligt running.
Manchester United have ruled out a move for Ajax defender Matthijs De Ligt, according to Sky sources.
— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) May 26, 2019
However, that’s not stopped the flow of transfer rumours linking the Ajax captain with a possible Old Trafford move.
On Tuesday night, Catalan Radio show ‘Club de la Mitjanit’ reported that Man United’s interest in de Ligt is real.
But it was also stated that Man United aren’t even halfway close to completing the transfer.
🔥 DE LIGT CONTINUA BOIG PEL BARÇA 🎙️ @orioldomenech:
🔊 “Va boig per venir al Barça. Les negociacions amb De Ligt són molt semblants a les de De Jong”
— Club de la Mitjanit (@ClubMitjanit) May 27, 2019
Man United & Newcastle’s Sean Longstaff
As Man United’s attempts to sign de Ligt seem to fade, another transfer rumour is also going cold.
Previously, Man United have been linked with a possible summer move for Newcastle midfielder Sean Longstaff.
Longstaff had a breakthrough season at St James’ Park, before his campaign was ended by injury.
Newcastle, of course, are now the subject of a possible takeover bid.
And, within that context, the Daily Mail’s Craig Hope has suggested that Man United’s likelihood of landing Longstaff appears remote.
A small NUFC line away from ‘takeover’… I’m told there has not even been an enquiry from Man Utd for Sean Longstaff & certainly no bids. NUFC have no reason to believe one is due either.
— Craig Hope (@CraigHope_DM) May 28, 2019