Belgium headed into the game sat top of their group after seeing off Canada by one goal to nil in the opening matchweek.
Morocco, meanwhile, were held to a 0-0 draw with Croatia, so really needed some form of result from this game ahead of facing Canada next week.
When all was said and done in Qatar, Morocco came away with a 1-0 win.
Belgium carved Morocco open early on with Thorgan Hazard slipping in Batshuayi, who saw his effort saved.
Outside of that effort, however, Belgium failed to have another shot on target in the first 45. They were able to keep Morocco fairly quiet until first-half injury time when they scored with their first shot on goal.
However, it was ruled out for offside after a VAR check.
Belgium then started the second half the brighter of the two sides, with Eden Hazard forcing a good save out of the Moroccon keeper 51 minutes in.
Roberto Martinez then brought on Youri Tielemans and Dries Mertens in an attempt to finally break the deadlock.
But it was Morocco who did so through substitute Abdelhamid Sabiri. Sabiri crossed in a free-kick from near the corner flag and it went straight into the goal.
Morocco then added a second in injury-time via Zakaria Aboukhlal, who tapped in Ziyech’s cut-back.
Belgium player ratings
- Thibaut Courtois (4) - Made a few decent saves but should have done more for the Morocco goal.
- Thomas Meunier (5) - Got forward several times but his final ball was generally poor.
- Toby Alderwirled (5) - Was not tested too much but put in a decent shift in the first half. Was beaten several times late on.
- Jan Vertonghen (5) - Struggled somewhat with the pace of Morocco’s attackers.
- Timothy Castange (5.5) - Had little impact on the game going forward.
- Amadou Onana (5.5) - Was was ok and he was good in the air but he did lose the ball in some dangerous positions. He also offered little going forward and was taken off for the more creative Youri Tielemans.
- Axel Witsel (5.5) - His passing was excellent and he was dominant in midfield, winning several tackles and duels in the first half but his impact on the game faded late on.
- Thorgan Hazzard (6) - Created several chances in his left-mid/wing-back role, linking well with his brother and Batshuayi.
- Kevin De Bruyne (6) - Not at his best throughout the match, failing to create too much for Batshuayi or Lukaku.
- Eden Hazard (5.5) - A fairly anonymous first 45 from the winger. He tested Morocco a bit more in the second half.
- Michy Batshuayi (4.5) - Should have done better when played through early on.
- Youri Tielemans (4)
- Dries Mertens (5)
- Leandro Trossard (4.5)
- Charles De Ketelaere (3)
- Romelu Lukaku (4)
Morocco player ratings
- Munir Mohand Mohamedi (6)
- Achraf Hakimi (6)
- Romain Saïss (6.5)
- Nayef Aguerd (6.5)
- Noussair Mazraoui (6)
- Azzedine Ounahi (5)
- Sofyan Amrabat (6.5)
- Selim Amallah (5.5)
- Hakim Ziyech (7)
- Sofiane Boufal (6.5)
- Youssef En-Nesyri (5.5)
- Yahia Attiyat Allah (5)
- Abdelhamid Sabiri (7)
- Zakaria Aboukhlal (7)
- Abderrazak Hamdallah (5)
- Jawad El Yamiq (5)