- Brendan Rodgers beginning to doubt whether Mario Balotelli is technically good enough for Liverpool [Mail]
- Wenger on why Sanchez chose Arsenal over Liverpool: ‘Simple. Champions League continuity’ [Star]
- Man City boss Pellegrini: ‘All 3 strikers (Aguero, Dzeko, Jovetic) are out for Crystal Palace’ [Video]
- Divock Origi set to join up with Liverpool in Jan, Rodgers & co to pay Lille €6m extra [L'Equipe]
- Chelsea’s Oscar has ‘Family Fitness Day’ with his wife and sister…
Villarreal offer Mateo Musacchio new deal to ward off Spurs interest [AS]
A week ago it looked odds on that Villarreal defender Mateo Musacchio would be a Tottenham player.
The Argentine defender appeared to be a perfect fit for new Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino and a defender that could fit in alongside Jan Vertonghen in the centre of defence.
Spanish newspaper AS however report that Villarreal are increasingly confident of holding on to Musacchio and have offered the centre back a new deal.
Villarreal CEO Fernando Roig has offered Musacchio a new wage that is not far off what Tottenham had offered.
The increased salary at White Hart Lane had been a major factor in Musacchio being keen on a move and the Villarreal offer will mean a tough decision for the player who has been with the Yellow Submarine for five seasons.
It appears from the AS report that the decision of whether to join Spurs could well rest with the player and there is no mention of any complications regarding third party ownership that had originally slowed the move down.
- Updated: August 11, 2014