Villarreal offer Mateo Musacchio new deal to ward off Spurs interest [AS]
A week ago it looked odds on that Villarreal defender Mateo Musacchio would be a Tottenham player.
The Argentine defender appeared to be a perfect fit for new Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino and a defender that could fit in alongside Jan Vertonghen in the centre of defence.
Spanish newspaper AS however report that Villarreal are increasingly confident of holding on to Musacchio and have offered the centre back a new deal.
Villarreal CEO Fernando Roig has offered Musacchio a new wage that is not far off what Tottenham had offered.
The increased salary at White Hart Lane had been a major factor in Musacchio being keen on a move and the Villarreal offer will mean a tough decision for the player who has been with the Yellow Submarine for five seasons.
It appears from the AS report that the decision of whether to join Spurs could well rest with the player and there is no mention of any complications regarding third party ownership that had originally slowed the move down.
Watch Live Stream
- Tottenham agree kit deal with Nike, far lower than Chelsea’s [Times]May 25th, 2016
- Barcelona have decided to release Spurs target Sandro Ramirez [Mail]May 24th, 2016
- LVG was trying to sign Tottenham’s Christian Eriksen before Man United sacked him [PA]May 24th, 2016
- Spurs have a verbal agreement to sign Sao Paulo striker Jonathan Calleri, claims dad [Yahoo Brasil]May 23rd, 2016
- Barcelona activate buy-back clause in Denis Suarez’s Villarreal contract [Sport]May 11th, 2016
- Jurgen Klopp took a dig at Villarreal boss Marcelino after Liverpool win (Video)May 6th, 2016
- Roberto Soldado destroyed after Roberto Firmino roulette [Video & Tweets]May 6th, 2016
- Daniel Sturridge tested for drugs after Villarreal win, posts video from Liverpool dressing roomMay 6th, 2016