Video Analysis: How Pep Guardiola is implementing a 4-1-4-1 system at Bayern Munich
- July 26, 2013
Credit to Vimeo user ‘CounterPressing’ for putting together an excellent video showing how Pep Guardiola is implementing a 4-1-4-1 system at Bayern Munich.
The video uses footage from Bayern’s 2-0 win over Barcelona in a pre-season friendly this week to illustrate Bayern’s tactical development.
Against Barcelona, Arjen Robben was used as the single forward leading the Munich attack whilst Toni Kroos started the match as Bayern’s midfield anchor.
With only one man up-top, Bayern’s new formation allows the Bavarians to use their four midfielders to press the opposition high up the pitch when they are on the ball in their half. Alternatively, when Bayern are on the back foot, two central midfielders (against Barcelona these were Lahm and Thiago) fall back to offer a 3-man line of protection ahead of the team’s back four.
Watch the superb breakdown of Bayern Munich’s new 4-1-4-1 formation below.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...