Video Analysis: How Pep Guardiola is implementing a 4-1-4-1 system at Bayern Munich
Credit to Vimeo user ‘CounterPressing’ for putting together an excellent video showing how Pep Guardiola is implementing a 4-1-4-1 system at Bayern Munich.
The video uses footage from Bayern’s 2-0 win over Barcelona in a pre-season friendly this week to illustrate Bayern’s tactical development.
Against Barcelona, Arjen Robben was used as the single forward leading the Munich attack whilst Toni Kroos started the match as Bayern’s midfield anchor.
With only one man up-top, Bayern’s new formation allows the Bavarians to use their four midfielders to press the opposition high up the pitch when they are on the ball in their half. Alternatively, when Bayern are on the back foot, two central midfielders (against Barcelona these were Lahm and Thiago) fall back to offer a 3-man line of protection ahead of the team’s back four.
Watch the superb breakdown of Bayern Munich’s new 4-1-4-1 formation below.
Watch Live Stream
- Looks like Liverpool keeper Loris Karius takes after Bayern Munich’s Manuel NeuerSeptember 25, 2016
- Bayern Munich want to sign Liverpool’s star asset [Express]September 25, 2016
- Will he get in trouble? Bayern’s Franck Ribery was incredibly cheeky v HamburgSeptember 24, 2016
- Bayern Munich close to some great Robert Lewandowski news [Bild]September 21, 2016
- Pep Guardiola was happy with Man City’s response v Celtic (Video)September 28, 2016
- Guardiola shows up to training in flashy £200k Bentley [Pictures]September 28, 2016
- Manchester City loanee Bersant Celina scores again for FC Twente (video)September 25, 2016
- Pep Guardiola is changing English football at Man City (Sky Video)September 25, 2016