Video Analysis: How Pep Guardiola is implementing a 4-1-4-1 system at Bayern Munich
Credit to Vimeo user ‘CounterPressing’ for putting together an excellent video showing how Pep Guardiola is implementing a 4-1-4-1 system at Bayern Munich.
The video uses footage from Bayern’s 2-0 win over Barcelona in a pre-season friendly this week to illustrate Bayern’s tactical development.
Against Barcelona, Arjen Robben was used as the single forward leading the Munich attack whilst Toni Kroos started the match as Bayern’s midfield anchor.
With only one man up-top, Bayern’s new formation allows the Bavarians to use their four midfielders to press the opposition high up the pitch when they are on the ball in their half. Alternatively, when Bayern are on the back foot, two central midfielders (against Barcelona these were Lahm and Thiago) fall back to offer a 3-man line of protection ahead of the team’s back four.
Watch the superb breakdown of Bayern Munich’s new 4-1-4-1 formation below.
Watch Live Stream
- Inter Milan v Bayern Munich: Online Live Streaming video [HD] 2016-07-30July 25, 2016
- Bayern Munich’s Franck Ribery throws jab at Pep GuardiolaJuly 24, 2016
- Ribery & Alaba score as Bayern Munich beat Landshut 3-0 (Video)July 23, 2016
- Bayern Munich v AC Milan: Online Live Streaming video [HD] 2016-07-28July 22, 2016
- Awesome: Pep Guardiola surprises more Man City fans in a taxi (Video)July 29, 2016
- Man City boss Pep Guardiola admits Samir Nasri is overweight & discusses John Stones (Video)July 28, 2016
- Pep Guardiola denies Man City players are overweight; this picture of Kun Aguero suggests otherwiseJuly 27, 2016
- Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola rants about the state of the Beijing pitch (Video)July 27, 2016