Victor Valdes save v Real Betis compared to Gordon Banks v Pele
- November 11, 2013
“Valdes made some saves worthy of the best goalkeeper in the world. One similar to the one of Banks against Pele.”- Andoni Zubizarreta.
There is no higher praise for a goalkeeper than to be compared to England legend Gordon Banks.
On Sunday night, Barcelona technical director and former goalkeeper Andoni Zubizaretta bestowed this honour on Victor Valdes.
The current Barcelona number one has been in terrific form this season, seemingly on a personal mission to mark his last season at the Nou Camp with displays to remember.
Once upon a time Valdes was considered a weak link for Barcelona, at the current time he is undoubtedly the best Spanish goalkeeper and keeps coming up trumps for Gerardo Martino’s side.
Proof of this came late on at Betis when Valdes was beaten by a penalty, the third he has faced this season which was also the first he has conceded.
Zubizarreta referenced the header from Juan Carlos, with the score at 0-0, as comparable to Gordon Banks versus Pele, watch both on the videos below.
- Barcelona want to hang on to Man United bound Pedro until European Super Cup
- Watch Thomas Vermaelen’s superb all-or-nothing tackle in Barcelona’s defeat...
- Pep Guardiola backs Pedro to be a success at Man United, says he can play in any team i...
- Man United have offered Barcelona €27m for Pedro [Sport]
- Barcelona’s Adama Traore en route to England for Liverpool medical [SPORT]
- Man United’s Ed Woodward to travel to Barcelona tomorrow to complete €30m Pedro d...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi