Victor Valdes save v Real Betis compared to Gordon Banks v Pele
- November 11, 2013
“Valdes made some saves worthy of the best goalkeeper in the world. One similar to the one of Banks against Pele.”- Andoni Zubizarreta.
There is no higher praise for a goalkeeper than to be compared to England legend Gordon Banks.
On Sunday night, Barcelona technical director and former goalkeeper Andoni Zubizaretta bestowed this honour on Victor Valdes.
The current Barcelona number one has been in terrific form this season, seemingly on a personal mission to mark his last season at the Nou Camp with displays to remember.
Once upon a time Valdes was considered a weak link for Barcelona, at the current time he is undoubtedly the best Spanish goalkeeper and keeps coming up trumps for Gerardo Martino’s side.
Proof of this came late on at Betis when Valdes was beaten by a penalty, the third he has faced this season which was also the first he has conceded.
Zubizarreta referenced the header from Juan Carlos, with the score at 0-0, as comparable to Gordon Banks versus Pele, watch both on the videos below.
- Juventus star Paul Pogba plays down talk of Barcelona in interview with Soccer 360
- Barcelona hero Neymar sends young girl signed boots after she writes essay about him [V...
- Barcelona have beaten Chelsea to signing of €35m Arda Turan [TalkSport]
- Chile goalkeeper Claudio Bravo claims there are no plans to mark Barca star Leo Messi i...
- Bobby Adekanye confirms he has signed for Liverpool from Barcelona on Instagram
- Leo Messi orders manager Tata Martino to make substitutions during Copa America semi v ...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi