Victor Valdes save v Real Betis compared to Gordon Banks v Pele
“Valdes made some saves worthy of the best goalkeeper in the world. One similar to the one of Banks against Pele.”- Andoni Zubizarreta.
There is no higher praise for a goalkeeper than to be compared to England legend Gordon Banks.
On Sunday night, Barcelona technical director and former goalkeeper Andoni Zubizaretta bestowed this honour on Victor Valdes.
The current Barcelona number one has been in terrific form this season, seemingly on a personal mission to mark his last season at the Nou Camp with displays to remember.
Once upon a time Valdes was considered a weak link for Barcelona, at the current time he is undoubtedly the best Spanish goalkeeper and keeps coming up trumps for Gerardo Martino’s side.
Proof of this came late on at Betis when Valdes was beaten by a penalty, the third he has faced this season which was also the first he has conceded.
Zubizarreta referenced the header from Juan Carlos, with the score at 0-0, as comparable to Gordon Banks versus Pele, watch both on the videos below.
- Leo Messi sends cryptic message to the Spanish Tax Man on Instagram
- Ronaldo romps and Messi watch complaints feature in new book of Barcelona anecdotes
- Barcelona star Lionel Messi will be tried in Spain for tax fraud, could spend 22 months...
- Man United & Barcelona send scouts to watch one of the hottest stars in Belgium [H...
- Juan Mata upset with Man United boss LVG over treatment of ex Barcelona keeper
- Victor Valdes is living a “nightmare” at Manchester United [Guillem Balague]
- Chelsea considering move for Man Utd outcast Victor Valdes to solve goalkeeping crisis ...
- Victor Valdes only named in Manchester United PL squad to conform to rules, still has n...