Victor Valdes save v Real Betis compared to Gordon Banks v Pele
- November 11, 2013
“Valdes made some saves worthy of the best goalkeeper in the world. One similar to the one of Banks against Pele.”- Andoni Zubizarreta.
There is no higher praise for a goalkeeper than to be compared to England legend Gordon Banks.
On Sunday night, Barcelona technical director and former goalkeeper Andoni Zubizaretta bestowed this honour on Victor Valdes.
The current Barcelona number one has been in terrific form this season, seemingly on a personal mission to mark his last season at the Nou Camp with displays to remember.
Once upon a time Valdes was considered a weak link for Barcelona, at the current time he is undoubtedly the best Spanish goalkeeper and keeps coming up trumps for Gerardo Martino’s side.
Proof of this came late on at Betis when Valdes was beaten by a penalty, the third he has faced this season which was also the first he has conceded.
Zubizarreta referenced the header from Juan Carlos, with the score at 0-0, as comparable to Gordon Banks versus Pele, watch both on the videos below.
- Anthony Martial’s move to Man United to be 5th biggest transfer fee of all time [...
- Done Deal: West Ham re-sign Barcelona’s Alex Song on a season long loan [Tweet]
- Barcelona’s Luis Suarez jokingly tried to bite Leo Messi backstage at UCL draw (V...
- Man United goalkeeper Victor Valdes’ move to Besiktas collapses [Di Marzio]
- David De Gea set to join Real Madrid in a cut price deal, Man United eye Gerard Pique [...
- Barcelona 1 – Malaga 0: Thomas Vermaelen scores the winner (Highlights)
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...