Southampton agree £12.5m deal with Celtic for midfielder Victor Wanyama [Scotland on Sunday]
- June 22, 2013
Southampton appear to be close to pulling off a real coup – the signing of Victor Wanyama from Celtic for just 12.5 million pounds.
The back page of Scotland on Sunday says Wanyama spent Saturday in talks with Southampton on what would be a record fee secured by a Scottish club.
Wanyama, just 21, had an outstanding season for Celtic as they secured the Scottish league and cup double.
The Kenyan midfielder had been linked with a host of England’s biggest clubs including Arsenal and Manchester United.
With Celtic having secured Wanyama from Beerschot in Belgium for just 900,000 pounds, this transfer will see the SPL champions make a significant profit on the midfield enforcer.
Southampton meanwhile will likely be confident of profiting from Wanyama who at just 21 has many years of high class football ahead of him.
Alongside Morgan Schneiderlin, Mauricio Pochettino could have at his disposal two young, dynamic and hard working midfielders to protect the Southampton defence next season.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi