Southampton agree £12.5m deal with Celtic for midfielder Victor Wanyama [Scotland on Sunday]
- June 22, 2013
Southampton appear to be close to pulling off a real coup – the signing of Victor Wanyama from Celtic for just 12.5 million pounds.
The back page of Scotland on Sunday says Wanyama spent Saturday in talks with Southampton on what would be a record fee secured by a Scottish club.
Wanyama, just 21, had an outstanding season for Celtic as they secured the Scottish league and cup double.
The Kenyan midfielder had been linked with a host of England’s biggest clubs including Arsenal and Manchester United.
With Celtic having secured Wanyama from Beerschot in Belgium for just 900,000 pounds, this transfer will see the SPL champions make a significant profit on the midfield enforcer.
Southampton meanwhile will likely be confident of profiting from Wanyama who at just 21 has many years of high class football ahead of him.
Alongside Morgan Schneiderlin, Mauricio Pochettino could have at his disposal two young, dynamic and hard working midfielders to protect the Southampton defence next season.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...