Should Raphael Varane have been sent off for fouling Patrice Evra?
- February 13, 2013
Referee Felix Brych made some interesting calls during Real Madrid’s 1-1 draw with Manchester United but none are likely to be scrutinised as much as a decision early in the second half.
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson was furious and supporters on social networks reacted with anger when Brych gave absolutely nothing for what looked like a clear last man foul by Raphael Varane on Patrice Evra.
A neat passing exchange between Robin van Persie and Michael Carrick saw the England midfielder play a fine through ball for the onrushing Patrice Evra.
The fact Varane wasn’t even shown a yellow card is pretty incredible and United were stunned not to receive even a free-kick.
Against fellow country man Varane, and one of the up and coming young stars of European football, the Real Madrid defender appeared to bring down Evra who would have been through on goal.
How the rest of the second half would have panned out had Real Madrid gone down to 10 men is anyone’s guess.
It does look pretty clear cut though.
Video evidence of the Raphael Varane challenge on Patrice Evra below.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...