Should Raphael Varane have been sent off for fouling Patrice Evra?
- February 13, 2013
Referee Felix Brych made some interesting calls during Real Madrid’s 1-1 draw with Manchester United but none are likely to be scrutinised as much as a decision early in the second half.
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson was furious and supporters on social networks reacted with anger when Brych gave absolutely nothing for what looked like a clear last man foul by Raphael Varane on Patrice Evra.
A neat passing exchange between Robin van Persie and Michael Carrick saw the England midfielder play a fine through ball for the onrushing Patrice Evra.
The fact Varane wasn’t even shown a yellow card is pretty incredible and United were stunned not to receive even a free-kick.
Against fellow country man Varane, and one of the up and coming young stars of European football, the Real Madrid defender appeared to bring down Evra who would have been through on goal.
How the rest of the second half would have panned out had Real Madrid gone down to 10 men is anyone’s guess.
It does look pretty clear cut though.
Video evidence of the Raphael Varane challenge on Patrice Evra below.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi