Nani red card v Real Madrid: Right or wrong?
- March 5, 2013
Its an incident that will likely be talked about for years.
After steaming into a 2-1 aggregate lead, thanks to a Sergio Ramos own goal, Manchester United looked to have control of their last 16 clash with Real Madrid after three halves of terrific football.
On 56 minutes however, referee Cuneyt Cakir flashed a red card to Nani for a high challenge on Alvaro Arbeloa.
Sir Alex Ferguson and assistant Mike Phelan immediately went mad and there was uproar across social networks from irate Manchester United fans.
Three minutes after Nani’s sending off, Luka Modric was brought on and the former Spurs midfielder duly cracked home a beauty just seven minutes after the Portuguese winger departed.
When Cristiano Ronaldo scored on his return to Old Trafford a further three minutes later (13 after Nani’s sending off) it was game over.
The Nani sending off will undoubtedly be the main talking point across the globe and you can expect Sir Alex Ferguson to be a very angry man post match.
Videos and GIFs of the Nani red card are below.
Was Cuneyt Cakir right to send Nani off? Leave your comments below.
For comparison’s sake, the third video below is Nigel De Jong on Xabi Alonso in the World Cup final where the Dutchman was only booked.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...