- Hull to sign Malmo keeper Robin Olsen for free [Fotbollskanalen]
- Worst Xmas present! Borussia Dortmund fan gets a toaster which makes Bayern bread [Pictures]
- Corinthians intensify effort to sign Spurs’ Paulinho, player’s wife being pregnant a factor [Globo]
- Celtic to fend off offers from Arsenal & Liverpool for defender Virgil van Dijk [Scotsman]
- “He is a player of United!” LVG rules out loan move for Adnan Januzaj
Mario Balotelli taunted by an inflatable banana & angry banners during the Milan derby
Previously at Inter and now at AC Milan, Mario Balotelli was always going to receive flak in his first Milan derby since returning to Italy.
Sadly, however, Super ario was also confronted with more racism in his adopted homeland.
Inter Milan fans reportedly barked a series of racial taunts towards Balotelli as the Italian striker faced his old employers for the first time since leaving in 2010, while one Inter fan was pictured holding a large inflatable banana in the San Siro.
Aside from the offending banana, Balotelli was also the focus of a couple of banners in the Inter crowd.
One banner read “You have thrown away our shirt. The ungrateful and infamous Balotelli will always be insulted by us.” A second banner on the same lines read “The shirt that gave you fame is not to be thrown away. It must be respected.”
As for Super Mario’s reaction to all the abuse, the Azzurri striker was spotted grabbing his groin and shaking it in the direction of the Inter fans as he trudged off the pitch at full time.
Images of the inflatable banana plus video of Balotelli’s balls-grabbing reaction can be seen below. Images of the other Inter banners can be seen below the fold.
- Updated: February 25, 2013