Marca caught making shit up! Spurs fans show paper rehashed a Modric quote, applied to Bale
- July 29, 2013
Several Tottenham fans on Twitter, on blogs and on Spurs forums, have been slamming Spanish paper Marca over the past few days after the media outlet were caught red-handed rehashing an old Luka Modric quote, and stuffing it into the supposed mouth of Gareth Bale.
Marca splashed the front page of their Friday paper with a quote attribute to Gareth Bale demanding that Tottenham allow him to join Real Madrid this summer.
The headline roared “Keep your promise and negotiate with Madrid”, while inside the article Bale was reported as saying:
You made me a promise. You promised me if we didn’t qualify for the Champions League and a good offer turned up you’d listen to it. Well that offer has arrived and I want to play for Real Madrid. So keep your word and negotiate. I’m not interested in Manchester United or any other club. I only want to play for Real Madrid.
There was only one problem with those quotes.
Unless some quirk of unbelievable fate befell Gareth Bale’s mouth, those quotes were never actually said by the Welshman. Rather, they were said by Luka Modric in the summer of 2012 when the Croatian was trying to engineer his move away from White Hart Lane to the Santiago Bernabeu.
A comparison of the supposed Bale quotes next to Luka Modric’s quotes from 2012 can be seen below.
- Bale & James bag braces as Real Madrid smash Real Betis 5-1 (Highlights)
- Gareth Bale gives first ever Spanish interview with 3 sentences learned by heart (Video)
- Gareth Bale arrives at Real Madrid training in a chauffeur-driven Porsche 911 Classic (...
- Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale wins at Life with Slo-Mo Swimming Pool Scissors Kick (V...
- No place for Gareth Bale in Real Madrid fans’ Starting XI [MARCA Survey]
- Fail: Real Madrid star Gareth Bale & his friends take dizzy penalties (Video)
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...