Marca caught making shit up! Spurs fans show paper rehashed a Modric quote, applied to Bale
Several Tottenham fans on Twitter, on blogs and on Spurs forums, have been slamming Spanish paper Marca over the past few days after the media outlet were caught red-handed rehashing an old Luka Modric quote, and stuffing it into the supposed mouth of Gareth Bale.
Marca splashed the front page of their Friday paper with a quote attribute to Gareth Bale demanding that Tottenham allow him to join Real Madrid this summer.
The headline roared “Keep your promise and negotiate with Madrid”, while inside the article Bale was reported as saying:
You made me a promise. You promised me if we didn’t qualify for the Champions League and a good offer turned up you’d listen to it. Well that offer has arrived and I want to play for Real Madrid. So keep your word and negotiate. I’m not interested in Manchester United or any other club. I only want to play for Real Madrid.
There was only one problem with those quotes.
Unless some quirk of unbelievable fate befell Gareth Bale’s mouth, those quotes were never actually said by the Welshman. Rather, they were said by Luka Modric in the summer of 2012 when the Croatian was trying to engineer his move away from White Hart Lane to the Santiago Bernabeu.
A comparison of the supposed Bale quotes next to Luka Modric’s quotes from 2012 can be seen below.
Watch Live Stream
- Gareth Bale names the player who trains the best at Real Madrid – and no, it’s not Ronaldo (Video)October 14, 2016
- Gareth Bale’s new Real Madrid contact will include an astronomical release clause [Cadena Ser]October 13, 2016
- The Wales team photo prank got even more ridiculous pre Georgia gameOctober 9, 2016
- Gareth Bale tries and fails to play dumb over Wales’ prank team pictures (Video)October 8, 2016
- Incredible video of Cristiano Ronaldo’s rousing half-time speech in CL finalOctober 23, 2016
- Real Madrid discussed Paul Pogba deal with Mino Raiola in the summer [Marca]October 22, 2016
- Barcelona legend Eric Abidal says that Cristiano Ronaldo is a burden for Portugal [Grup 14]October 21, 2016
- Cristiano Ronaldo offends Buddhists on social mediaOctober 20, 2016
- Ex-Spurs boss Tim Sherwood drops an ‘A*se-Bomb’ live on Sky Sports (Video)October 22, 2016
- Sir Alex Ferguson names Cristiano Ronaldo as the best player he’s coachedOctober 22, 2016
- Bournemouth v Tottenham: Premier League preview, line-ups & predictionsOctober 21, 2016
- Harry Kane returns to Spurs training, updates on InstagramOctober 20, 2016