Marca caught making shit up! Spurs fans show paper rehashed a Modric quote, applied to Bale
- July 29, 2013
Several Tottenham fans on Twitter, on blogs and on Spurs forums, have been slamming Spanish paper Marca over the past few days after the media outlet were caught red-handed rehashing an old Luka Modric quote, and stuffing it into the supposed mouth of Gareth Bale.
Marca splashed the front page of their Friday paper with a quote attribute to Gareth Bale demanding that Tottenham allow him to join Real Madrid this summer.
The headline roared “Keep your promise and negotiate with Madrid”, while inside the article Bale was reported as saying:
You made me a promise. You promised me if we didn’t qualify for the Champions League and a good offer turned up you’d listen to it. Well that offer has arrived and I want to play for Real Madrid. So keep your word and negotiate. I’m not interested in Manchester United or any other club. I only want to play for Real Madrid.
There was only one problem with those quotes.
Unless some quirk of unbelievable fate befell Gareth Bale’s mouth, those quotes were never actually said by the Welshman. Rather, they were said by Luka Modric in the summer of 2012 when the Croatian was trying to engineer his move away from White Hart Lane to the Santiago Bernabeu.
A comparison of the supposed Bale quotes next to Luka Modric’s quotes from 2012 can be seen below.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...