Liverpool sign Benfica’s Lazar Markovic for €25m on a 5-year deal, Reds insert €45m release clause [Pictures]
Were Liverpool to not sign Benfica’s Lazar Markovic now, there would be some explaining to do at Anfield.
To recap, on Sunday rumours started bubbling up in Iberia concerning a possible move by Liverpool for 20-year-old Serbian attacking midfielder Markovic.
As the weekend progressed the rumours increased, while on Sunday night journalists with their ears to the ground were reporting Liverpool had got their man for 25 million euros.
Those reports have since been backed up in the fifth estate on Monday morning, as A Bola, O Jogo and Record – Portugal’s three leading papers – all have the Markovic to Anfield story on their front pages.
According to A Bola, Markovic has penned a five year deal with the Reds, whilst the new contract has placed a €45 million release clause in the deal.
Interestingly, as Benfica only owned 50% of Markovic’s rights, the Eagles will only receive €12.5m in the deal.
See how the Portuguese press are confirming Liverpool are set to sign Benfica’s Lazar Markovic below.
Watch Live Stream
- Nico Gaitan cries after final game for Benfica, ahead of Atletico Madrid move (Video)May 21st, 2016
- Manchester United set to sign Benfica defender Victor Lindelof [Daily Express]May 20th, 2016
- Man United bid £20m for Benfica’s Swedish defender Victor Lindelöf [Aftonbladet]May 19th, 2016
- Leicester want to sign Benfica midfielder Mehdi Carcela-Gonzalez [A Bola]May 12th, 2016
- Three lucky fans chat to former Liverpool star John Barnes on Skype (Video)May 28th, 2016
- Liverpool fans turn on UEFA as it transpires Mamadou Sakho was wrongfully banned for doping [Tweets]May 28th, 2016
- Ex-Liverpool man Steven Gerrard wishes Fernando Torres good luck in CL Final [Instagram]May 28th, 2016
- Liverpool’s Mamadou Sakho free to play after 1-month doping ban expires [L’Equipe]May 28th, 2016