- Liverpool fan channels call for Steven Gerrard to be returned to Number 10 role [Video]
- Skills! Ferencváros’ Ugrai Roland pulls off slick Rabona pass v Paks [Video]
- Chelsea, Spurs & Liverpool all target Inter’s £28m-rated Mauro Icardi [Express]
- Yaya Sanogo set to start up front for Arsenal v Borussia Dortmund tonight [Mirror]
- Liverpool’s Rickie Lambert: ‘I find the criticism of Steven Gerrard shocking to be honest’
Liverpool sign Benfica’s Lazar Markovic for €25m on a 5-year deal, Reds insert €45m release clause [Pictures]
Were Liverpool to not sign Benfica’s Lazar Markovic now, there would be some explaining to do at Anfield.
To recap, on Sunday rumours started bubbling up in Iberia concerning a possible move by Liverpool for 20-year-old Serbian attacking midfielder Markovic.
As the weekend progressed the rumours increased, while on Sunday night journalists with their ears to the ground were reporting Liverpool had got their man for 25 million euros.
Those reports have since been backed up in the fifth estate on Monday morning, as A Bola, O Jogo and Record – Portugal’s three leading papers – all have the Markovic to Anfield story on their front pages.
According to A Bola, Markovic has penned a five year deal with the Reds, whilst the new contract has placed a €45 million release clause in the deal.
Interestingly, as Benfica only owned 50% of Markovic’s rights, the Eagles will only receive €12.5m in the deal.
See how the Portuguese press are confirming Liverpool are set to sign Benfica’s Lazar Markovic below.
- Updated: July 7, 2014