- Eden Hazard celebrated earning Chelsea an “important 3 points” v Man United [Official Video]
- Chelsea’s win marked the 25th consecutive year that Liverpool have mathematically failed to win the title
- The sad story of how Paulo Cesar sold his 1970 World Cup winners medal for cocaine [L’Equipe]
- Most of Man United’s Class of ’92 went out for dinner with Andy Cole on Saturday night [Picture]
- Ronaldinho scored a double as an 84th minute Queretaro sub v Club America [Video]
Lionel Messi slammed for only running 6.8km v Atletico, just a little more than keeper Pinto (5.3km)
- April 10, 2014
Lionel Messi is predictably slammed this morning in the Spanish press for a woeful display in Barcelona’s 1-0 defeat at Atletico Madrid.
And, Marca have dredged up a statistic that does not flatter the Argentine, considered by many to be finest player on the planet.
According to UEFA, Messi ran just 6 kilometres during Barcelona’s 1-0 defeat.
This was only slightly more than Barcelona’s much ridiculed keeper Jose Pinto who managed 5.3 kilometres.
Messi was heavily beaten in distance covered by many of his Barcelona team mates: Xavi (11.8km), Jordi Alba (11.5), Dani Alves (10.8), Marc Bartra (10.7) and Neymar (9.5).
Whilst Koke top scored on both teams in terms of distance covered with 12.3. The top distances covered during Atletico Madrid v Barcelona are below.
Of course, it could be argued that Messi was simply conserving energy to make it count when he did get the ball but Atletico defended so well that Barcelona’s service was pretty poor…