- Man Utd boss Louis van Gaal: ‘Because of his injuries, maybe we won’t buy Radamel Falcao’ [Video]
- Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho: ‘I enjoy the busy period’ [Video]
- Eliaquim Mangala shows off his silky skills with rainbow flicks at Manchester City training [Video]
- Clarke Carlisle: ‘Standing down would be the honourable thing for Dave Whelan to do’ [Video]
- Skills! PSG’s Javier Pastore pulls off (effective!) Rainbow Flick v Metz [Vine]
Lionel Messi slammed for only running 6.8km v Atletico, just a little more than keeper Pinto (5.3km)
Lionel Messi is predictably slammed this morning in the Spanish press for a woeful display in Barcelona’s 1-0 defeat at Atletico Madrid.
And, Marca have dredged up a statistic that does not flatter the Argentine, considered by many to be finest player on the planet.
According to UEFA, Messi ran just 6 kilometres during Barcelona’s 1-0 defeat.
This was only slightly more than Barcelona’s much ridiculed keeper Jose Pinto who managed 5.3 kilometres.
Messi was heavily beaten in distance covered by many of his Barcelona team mates: Xavi (11.8km), Jordi Alba (11.5), Dani Alves (10.8), Marc Bartra (10.7) and Neymar (9.5).
Whilst Koke top scored on both teams in terms of distance covered with 12.3. The top distances covered during Atletico Madrid v Barcelona are below.
Of course, it could be argued that Messi was simply conserving energy to make it count when he did get the ball but Atletico defended so well that Barcelona’s service was pretty poor…
- Updated: April 10, 2014