- English Democrat Paul Rimmer says ‘Liverpool have been cursed by God for sponsoring Gay Pride’
- Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers: ‘Raheem Sterling is the same type of striker as Alexis Sanchez’
- Alan Shearer pays tribute to Thierry Henry: ‘One hell of a player, and a really nice guy’ [Video]
- Man Utd boss Louis van Gaal the butt of a very Dutch joke at awards show – he doesn’t like it! [Video]
- Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti on possible Jan signings: ‘I like Christoph Kramer a lot’ [Video]
Lionel Messi slammed for only running 6.8km v Atletico, just a little more than keeper Pinto (5.3km)
Lionel Messi is predictably slammed this morning in the Spanish press for a woeful display in Barcelona’s 1-0 defeat at Atletico Madrid.
And, Marca have dredged up a statistic that does not flatter the Argentine, considered by many to be finest player on the planet.
According to UEFA, Messi ran just 6 kilometres during Barcelona’s 1-0 defeat.
This was only slightly more than Barcelona’s much ridiculed keeper Jose Pinto who managed 5.3 kilometres.
Messi was heavily beaten in distance covered by many of his Barcelona team mates: Xavi (11.8km), Jordi Alba (11.5), Dani Alves (10.8), Marc Bartra (10.7) and Neymar (9.5).
Whilst Koke top scored on both teams in terms of distance covered with 12.3. The top distances covered during Atletico Madrid v Barcelona are below.
Of course, it could be argued that Messi was simply conserving energy to make it count when he did get the ball but Atletico defended so well that Barcelona’s service was pretty poor…
- Updated: April 10, 2014