Lionel Messi slammed for only running 6.8km v Atletico, just a little more than keeper Pinto (5.3km)
- April 10, 2014
Lionel Messi is predictably slammed this morning in the Spanish press for a woeful display in Barcelona’s 1-0 defeat at Atletico Madrid.
And, Marca have dredged up a statistic that does not flatter the Argentine, considered by many to be finest player on the planet.
According to UEFA, Messi ran just 6 kilometres during Barcelona’s 1-0 defeat.
This was only slightly more than Barcelona’s much ridiculed keeper Jose Pinto who managed 5.3 kilometres.
Messi was heavily beaten in distance covered by many of his Barcelona team mates: Xavi (11.8km), Jordi Alba (11.5), Dani Alves (10.8), Marc Bartra (10.7) and Neymar (9.5).
Whilst Koke top scored on both teams in terms of distance covered with 12.3. The top distances covered during Atletico Madrid v Barcelona are below.
Of course, it could be argued that Messi was simply conserving energy to make it count when he did get the ball but Atletico defended so well that Barcelona’s service was pretty poor…
- Diego Costa says he’d love to have Arda Turan and his kebabs at Chelsea [Bugün]
- Atletico Madrid close in on Manchester United target Nicolas Gaitan [Record]
- Barcelona have beaten Chelsea to signing of €35m Arda Turan [TalkSport]
- Sevilla announce agreement to sign Spurs target Yevhen Konoplyanka
- Barcelona agree €35m fee with Atletico Madrid for Arda Turan [Sport]
- Atletico Madrid legend Miranda reflects on his time at the club before Inter move [Video]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi